Skip to main content

October is My December: A Very Early Anti-Christmas Rant

(A frequent re-post that holds up year after year.)


Aaaaah, the fall.  My favorite time of year has arrived.  October is my December.  It has 31 days and culminates in the most fun holiday of all: Halloween.


It doesn't require shopping and pans of pans of baking.  The fall doesn't ask you to show your love by how much you can buy (or charge).  It only asks that you look around and enjoy.  Oh, and maybe toss a handful of fallen leaves into the air, but that is totally optional of course.



The fall doesn't make you feel guilty for all the things you can't do and all the people you can't be.  It doesn't ask you to be in three different locations at once and to act as mother/sister/aunt/friend to relatives you barley know and only see once a year.  It doesn't ask you to participate in rituals that mean nothing to you.  The autumn holidays are full of fun and choice.


The season of fall is full of fun activities!  It has kids in costumes, foods spiced with pumpkin, hay rides, festivals and fairs, cool nights, and leaves......oh, joy......the leaves!  It does not have tinsel that will stick to your skin and pine needles that will liter your floor.  It does not have gift tags and bags and return counters.  It doesn't even make you feel badly if you don't like it!  Autumn is happy and sure enough of itself that it's okay if everyone doesn't participate and sing its praises.


I think lots of others feel like I do but are afraid to say so.  They may say "I love Christmas" but spend many late nights brooding about the work, time and money it takes to get it all done.  They may even ask like I do every year, how did a one-day holiday get stretched into 30 (or more)?


 Whereas, the fall actually lasts longer than 30 days, and that's okay!  Because it's obligations are few, but it's pleasures are many!  And some of those folks who claim to love Christmas may actually love it.  But why are they always trying so hard to get everyone else to love it?  If you like chocolate cake it's still gonna taste good even if I hate it.  You may have a hard time imagining anyone hates chocolate cake, but some people do.  You can still enjoy it though. Go ahead!  But can you stop trying to convince me to like chocolate cake?  I already told you!  I don't like chocolate cake, goddammit it!  Get the damn chocolate cake outta my face! 

 I'm not saying you can't have Christmas and even that you can't enjoy it.  Start decorating and shopping now if you'd like.  But to those of us that don't share your enthusiasm, leave us alone.  Stop making us feel badly for not loving your religious-pagan-spending traditions.  Stop saying it's about Christ when Jesus H. Christ you know it's not.  It's not!!!!!!

Let me enjoy my season, and I'll let you enjoy yours.  And we'll all be much merrier and happier for it, I'm sure.  In a time when we're all encouraged to embrace the differences of others, how we look at the holidays may just be a good place to start.  Now Merry Christmas and Happy Halloween to all!

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...