Skip to main content

Fave TV Shows of the 1980's

(Continuing my stroll down memory lane to find enjoyment in our current culture takes me to television shows.  Some of these shows began in the 1970's and continued as re-runs that I watched after school as a kid.  Also, there was a lot less parental advisement in the 80's.)
I loved Happy Days so much.
My crush jumped between Richie to Fonz weekly.


A great spin-off from Happy Days was Laverne & Shirley.
I loved the idea of girlfriends living and working together....
their lives looked so fun!

Joanie Loves Chachi was a less-good spin-off from Happy Days,
but I still dug it.  I was probably like 8 or something.

Mork and Mindy was yet another spin-off from HD, but
it was actually hilarious.  It's still sad to think about the loss
of Robin Williams when you see his early genius.

I don't remember much about this show except
that the dad was a cartoonist that drew at home,
and I thought that was cool.


I loved watching Kate & Allie afterschool.
I didn't realize at the time how cool the idea of
two single moms pooling their kids and being helpmates
was unconventional and almost shocking!

Bosom Buddies would not be considered very PC today, but
it featured a young and funny Tom Hanks!

My grandmother watched T.J. Hooker.  I liked Adrian Zmed.


She also watched Matt Houston, which I don't remember much
about.  But I do know I found Matt very handsome.

Good Times was a great show, but I find I can't bear it now.
Sadly.  The characters just seem too mean and impatient.

I also watched Little House on the Prairie afterschool, but have
a hard time with it now too.  Just too precious.

I liked Growing Pains because the parents were so sweet and
understanding and were always available to their kids.
And Kirk Cameron before he lost his mind was so cute!



Like most people, I watch more of The Golden Girls now than
I did then, but the show did originate in the 80's.
My kid even knows their theme song and sings it around the house!

I was probably too young to watch Dallas, but once again
my grandmother let my sister and I watch when we stayed
at her house on Friday nights.  And also?
EVERYBODY watched Dallas!

Didn't really get any part of this, but still
watched it afterschool.  I realize now how
shocking a lot of it was for its time.


I loved this as a kid and still watch the re-runs sometimes now.
It's worth it just for a good telling-off from Claire Huxtable!

Once again, I loved Family Ties as a kid and find it awful now.
All that hippie boomer pretention....gimme a break.
The dad was so sweet but the mom so unlikeable.


I loved The Incredible Hulk even
though I often found it scary.


The Dukes of Hazzard was awesome!  I even had the little cars!
My husband still fantasizes about Catherine Bach!

I loved What's Happening even though I thought Shirley
and the mom were mean.  And Dee.  Why were all the ladies
on this show so mean?

This was a detective show that I never stayed up to watch,
but I remember liking the theme music for some reason.
Television theme music was big in the 80's.


I never finished an episode, but I liked the opening and found
Tom Selleck to be oh so cute.  And still do!

My husband remembers this from the opening of the show.
Probably most men his age do.


I learned so much from Afterschool Specials! The dangers of
drinking and drug use, eating disorders, child abuse, child abduction.
Wow....these were pretty scary!  But still, they were educational. 
Too bad these don't get made anymore! 


Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...