Skip to main content

Book Pick: There is No F*cking Secret


Like most Americans, I became acquainted with the young Kelly Osbourne on the MTV reality show, The Osbournes back in 2002.  Back then she was a smart-mouthed teenager that pushed her boundaries with her parents, with the audience and with the world in general. 

These days, she's a grown woman in her 30's that has quite a lot to stay about fame, wealth, and growing up in the spotlight to infamous parents. 

I was intrigued by a lot of Kelly's hot takes on the world at large because at her age she's kind of a Gen Xer/Millennial combo.  I was impressed by how guarded she is with her body and her sexuality and how candid she was with her drug use and abuse.  She has strong feelings about social media that definitely puts her over her age limit.  She was great at famous people name-dropping (which the voyeur in me enjoys) and had a lot of great London stories (which the Anglophile in me enjoys).  My favorite chapter in the book was about her adventures as a child touring with Ozzfest.  This section alone explains how she and her siblings grew up pretty fast.

It seemed like this book was also an attempt to mea culpa some issues that Kelly faced that I had no idea about.....like a perceived-racist comment on a Talk Show and her young haphazard job attempts when working was not a true priority. 

Whenever celebrities give up their privacy to tell all, it's easy for us "normal people" to shrug and say that was her choice.  But what if you're born into it?  Kelly is another famous child turned famous adult that chose to grab hold of her notoriety and make it her own.  Not a bad accomplishment for one of the children of "The Prince of Darkness". 

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...