So I've always been intrigued by Mapplethorpe even if his art isn't quite my cup. He was a big part of my senior year high school term paper on censorship and really made my young brain think about the unanswerable question of "what is art?"
The thing I keep learning about Robert Mapplethorpe is that there are many different versions of his story. With Patti, he was sweet and shy......a little afraid of himself and the world.....but a lifelong devoted friend. With friends and colleagues, he was a selfish opportunist. With fans, he was a living god. This film manages to show all those sides, and they all seem pretty real.
Today Mapplethorpe's name is still synonymous with what many considered pornographic art. He's also a cultural icon of the gritty 1970's and glittery 1980's New York City.
To me, he'll always be an artist who pushed boundaries and opened doors for those who probably don't even know his name today. And from what I know of him, that would make him happy.
