Skip to main content

Final Posting

Now that I'm coming to the end of the 10th year of this blog, I think I'm reaching the end of my blogging career.  I've been pretty proud of this blog though.  It's the 3rd one I've written and the one I've stayed with the longest.  It has taken me through some high and low points in my life and through a lot of changes.  It was a place for me to rant, to be silly, to brag and to dream.  I'm not sure if it inspired many people, but it certainly inspired me.  My ideas kept churning because I knew I had a place to put them.  Now I will be seeking a new and different outlet for that.  Who knows what the future might hold?

I never wanted to put ads on my blog and I turned off commenting a long time ago.  It was for me.  It was for my edification.  And personal edification doesn't seek argument or agreement. 

So because of those choices, I never really knew how many readers I had and if they enjoyed this blog.  I often felt a bit like Carrie Bradshaw when I mentioned the blog to people who I thought might like it in a "wow....even my friends find me irrelevant" sort of way.  Or when I let celebs (major and minor) know I'd reviewed their books or records and they never responded.  Or I could tell a friend didn't actually read a post I had sent to them.  Yes, I knew.  But that's okay.  It was never for you.  It was for me.

But I do thank the readers that did drop by.  I know my sister was a fan.  Sometimes my husband.  At one time, this blog site was a place for a purging.  Once I got over the need for that kind of emotion, I pulled all those posts down.  Then the blog became about sharing local stories and music.  Then it became about fun.  The thing is, in 10 years a blog can become a lot of things to its writer.  I loved watching that growth.  It was a growth and change for me even if no one else saw it, and it was powerful.

I know I'll always write in some form, even if it's just for me.  I doubt I'll ever have anything published in any consumable way for the masses.  But I'll always have my stories.....my journals.....my verse......my thoughts.  And I hope I'll always have my imagination.  It has kept me company my entire life, and I hope it never leaves me.

Thank you for reading and sharing this blog if you did.  And I hope there was something valuable in it for you. All my love to you, gentle readers.....

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...