As I watched a piece yesterday about Erma Bombeck, I couldn't help but wonder if not for Erma would we have all these great mommy blogs today. I haven't done any statistical research, but I would guess the blogs just about mothering and the adventure of mommyhood are pretty prevalent among this new mode of information.
I like to talk about my parenting journey some too, but I realize how different mine is with a child with a disability which is autism. There are many blogs dedicated to that as well.
But I think the thing I have always most enjoyed about my writing is that I like to let it go where it wants to go. I don't like concentrating just on motherhood or autism or I seem to get bogged down. I also don't like to get very negative in my writing. It's just not my style to air grievances on my blog (even though that may happen sometimes).
But I would encourage anyone who enjoys writing, on any topic, to start a blog. I have friends who tell me all the time how much they would love to blog too. It's easy! Just go to Blogger and follow the instructions. There is a real instant gratification that you don't get in other writing. You get an instant audience with immediate feedback.
Many writers say that writing is a lonely occupation (or preoccupation perhaps), and I think sometimes I would agree. I keep some of my writing private, and I think that's something online writers have to make judgement on for themselves. But sometimes it's great just to throw those ideas out there and see who responds and what they have to say. As a blogger, you teach and learn at the same time. And that's something we all need a little more of.
A clerk in a bookstore once gave me the best compliment/encouragement and some that I really needed at the time. I was buying a writing publication and she asked me what I had written or was working on since it appeared I was a writer. I humbly said I had quite a few short stories and an unpublished first novel manuscript, but I wasn't really a "writer". A manuscript? She had all kinds of questions about it and advice for getting published.
Then as she completed my purchase and pushed the bag across the desk to me she said "if you have a manuscript, then you're a writer". Why is it that when a stranger tells you something sometimes it means more?
So now I'm a stranger telling you, if you're a writer or someone who wants to try writing at all, hop on your own blog right now. Andy Warhol may have said that fame lasts 15 minutes, but when you blog, it lasts forever!
I like to talk about my parenting journey some too, but I realize how different mine is with a child with a disability which is autism. There are many blogs dedicated to that as well.
But I think the thing I have always most enjoyed about my writing is that I like to let it go where it wants to go. I don't like concentrating just on motherhood or autism or I seem to get bogged down. I also don't like to get very negative in my writing. It's just not my style to air grievances on my blog (even though that may happen sometimes).
But I would encourage anyone who enjoys writing, on any topic, to start a blog. I have friends who tell me all the time how much they would love to blog too. It's easy! Just go to Blogger and follow the instructions. There is a real instant gratification that you don't get in other writing. You get an instant audience with immediate feedback.
Many writers say that writing is a lonely occupation (or preoccupation perhaps), and I think sometimes I would agree. I keep some of my writing private, and I think that's something online writers have to make judgement on for themselves. But sometimes it's great just to throw those ideas out there and see who responds and what they have to say. As a blogger, you teach and learn at the same time. And that's something we all need a little more of.
A clerk in a bookstore once gave me the best compliment/encouragement and some that I really needed at the time. I was buying a writing publication and she asked me what I had written or was working on since it appeared I was a writer. I humbly said I had quite a few short stories and an unpublished first novel manuscript, but I wasn't really a "writer". A manuscript? She had all kinds of questions about it and advice for getting published.
Then as she completed my purchase and pushed the bag across the desk to me she said "if you have a manuscript, then you're a writer". Why is it that when a stranger tells you something sometimes it means more?
So now I'm a stranger telling you, if you're a writer or someone who wants to try writing at all, hop on your own blog right now. Andy Warhol may have said that fame lasts 15 minutes, but when you blog, it lasts forever!
Comments