60 or so pages into the Oprah Unauthorized I have noticed a few things:
~Kitty Kelly isn't really lying about Oprah, but she isn't completely straight with the truth either. It's easy to tell that it's, well, bent in some places.
~She likes to use pieces of real dialogue and quotes that Oprah has said to make her sound stupid. I personally think this could be accomplished with the most well-spoken person on Earth as long as the writer is sure to include every "uh" "um" and "er" that the subject utters.
~It's obvious that any relative/friend/coworker that was willing to talk absolutely ANY smack about O was interviewed. I'm sure these people all have their love and qualms with Oprah. Who among us wouldn't be remembered the same way?
~I didn't really like that Kitty Kelly insinuated that Oprah used topics on sexual abuse and rape to further her career and popularity. That one kind of stuck in my craw. (Huh?) Say what you want about The Great O, but her discussion and outreach to victims of abuse has been bold, necessary and helpful.
~Oprah has, since her childhood, used the people around her and, at times, manipulated her way to success. Is this in any way a surprise?
~Oprah appears to be pretty sceery if you actually work for her in any capacity. Again, not a shock.
It's a fairly good book so far, and I'll admit I'm partly reading for the salaciousness of it. I'm not sure yet if the reading makes me like Oprah or Kitty Kelly less. I think a little of both. I'm having pool time today, so if can tear my eyes away from the latest sex tips from Cosmo I'll let you know more on Oprah. I'm all about pleasing my readers!
On another note, if you REALLY want a good read, I just finished A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve, probably one of my faaaaave writers of all time. Start this one this weekend and you'll be done by Monday.
Yeah, it's that good.
~Kitty Kelly isn't really lying about Oprah, but she isn't completely straight with the truth either. It's easy to tell that it's, well, bent in some places.
~She likes to use pieces of real dialogue and quotes that Oprah has said to make her sound stupid. I personally think this could be accomplished with the most well-spoken person on Earth as long as the writer is sure to include every "uh" "um" and "er" that the subject utters.
~It's obvious that any relative/friend/coworker that was willing to talk absolutely ANY smack about O was interviewed. I'm sure these people all have their love and qualms with Oprah. Who among us wouldn't be remembered the same way?
~I didn't really like that Kitty Kelly insinuated that Oprah used topics on sexual abuse and rape to further her career and popularity. That one kind of stuck in my craw. (Huh?) Say what you want about The Great O, but her discussion and outreach to victims of abuse has been bold, necessary and helpful.
~Oprah has, since her childhood, used the people around her and, at times, manipulated her way to success. Is this in any way a surprise?
~Oprah appears to be pretty sceery if you actually work for her in any capacity. Again, not a shock.
It's a fairly good book so far, and I'll admit I'm partly reading for the salaciousness of it. I'm not sure yet if the reading makes me like Oprah or Kitty Kelly less. I think a little of both. I'm having pool time today, so if can tear my eyes away from the latest sex tips from Cosmo I'll let you know more on Oprah. I'm all about pleasing my readers!
On another note, if you REALLY want a good read, I just finished A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve, probably one of my faaaaave writers of all time. Start this one this weekend and you'll be done by Monday.
Yeah, it's that good.
Comments