Children's music today is so fantastic. It's nothing like the insipid sing-songy tunes of my youth. I've noticed as Little Boy and I listen to KidsPlace Live that most of the music is either very fun and somewhat adult-oriented or very inspiring and uplifting in a kid friendly kind of way.
There are so many current songs that make me both happy to listen and glad for Little Boy to have music that is both positive and fun. Here's a few to give a listen:
Walk Tall Ziggy Marley & Paul Simon
And I want the record to show that I love the old kids' standards too. I get a little bit teary every time we hear Kermit the Frog singing "The Rainbow Connection" (but to be honest, I REALLY love the Willie Nelson version). I also do the happy dance when Kidsplace plays old songs from waaaay back in the day. Like this one.....
You're a diamond in the rough
A brilliant ball of paint,
You could be a work of art
If you just go all the way.
Okay, so I know that "Kung-Fu Fighting" was originally a crappy 70's hit, but we hear the Jack Black version (from the movie "Kung-Fu Panda") all the time. Is it just me, or is that line just really lovely and inspiring?
There are so many current songs that make me both happy to listen and glad for Little Boy to have music that is both positive and fun. Here's a few to give a listen:
Walk Tall Ziggy Marley & Paul Simon
Down to Earth Peter Gabriel
Clap Your Hands Joe McDermott
Crayola Doesn't Make a Color for Your Eyes Kristen Andreassen
And I want the record to show that I love the old kids' standards too. I get a little bit teary every time we hear Kermit the Frog singing "The Rainbow Connection" (but to be honest, I REALLY love the Willie Nelson version). I also do the happy dance when Kidsplace plays old songs from waaaay back in the day. Like this one.....
3 6 9
The goose drank wine,
The monkey chewed tobacco on the street car line.
The line broke, the monkey got choked
They all went to heaven in a little row boat.
That's "The Clapping Song" by Shirley Ellis recorded in 1965. It is so fun! Go and listen to a recording of it to really get the feel.....
My mother told me
If I was goody
That she would buy me
A rubber dolly
My Auntie told her
I kissed a soldier
Now she won't buy me
A rubber dolly.
I have to sing along every time we hear it. And I don't care how much it annoys Little Boy!
Comments