Skip to main content

Matthew Perry: I'm So NOT a Fan

 


Sigh.  So much to unpack here. 

First of all, I knew I wasn't going to like this book going in after I listened to a podcast review of it. The moderators said that Perry is selfish, rude and basically hates all women and treats them as the beautiful objects they are......even his own mother......with barely-veiled disdain.

They were correct on all counts.

Second of all, I have had my fair share of experience with addicts and I can say without hesitation that they are the most selfish people on earth. Artistic endeavors often paint them as sad, often misunderstood characters but with so much charm they are still somehow beloved.

Not so in this case. I really dislike Matthew Perry after reading this book.

Sure, we've all got personal pain. Divorced parents. Anxiety. Career uncertainty. Cold Canadian weather. But overall, this memoir was simply a "wah wah my life is so hard being a wealthy white kid traveling between California and Ottawa as a young tennis player and private school kid......" Waaaaah! (annoying baby cry, btw)

In case you think I'm being too hard on him, don't worry too much about him. He has LOADS of money and has laid TONS of women. Two facts that he points out with annoying regularity. And he has all the right people and circumstances in his life to blame when necessary: his handsome and absentee father, his beautiful and prolific mother, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Aniston, being sent on a plane "unaccompanied" at the age of five and of course, Keanu Reeves!

Perry says he wrote this book "to help people". I'm not sure how much help he is providing, other than creating a road map for other substance recoverers to blame everyone in their lives except themselves.

It's funny how often Perry makes clear that he WAS Chandler Bing. No one else could have played that role because he WAS the character inside and out. I hate to break this to you, dude, but you're almost right. Longtime "Friends" fans know that Chandler had a big heart. All Perry seems to have is a big mouth. And a big ego.

Long live Keanu Reeves!

(Here's another similar book by a similar yucky man fighting his own demons.  It's funny how much I kept comparing the two in my head as I was reading.  They should really hang out!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...