For this last week of April, I'm sharing some re-posts that I've written over the years about my son's autism. I've realized that he and I have both grown and gone through so much over the years. We're not the same people we were when we first received the diagnosis in 2005. Our personalities, family structures and relationships and even our medications have changed a lot since then!
While many of my thoughts and perspectives have changed, a few things haven't. So I want to speak directly to parents of all special needs kids, both child and adult, right now:
1) Reach out for help. Ask for support. Nobody expects you to do this alone.
2) This isn't your fault.
3) It's okay to be sad and angry. It's okay to grieve a loss.
4) It might not ever be what you expected, but it will be okay. You will find a new normal.
5) You, and your kid, are doing your best.
I don't have to know your kids' diagnosis or situation to know all of the above is true. I don't have to know you to know that you're trying. I don't have to know you to know that it's hard and you're tired. But you know what? There is somebody out there right now waiting to tell all this to you. Someone who DOES know you. Let them in. Let them tell you.
Once at the Farmer's Market, my son approached a lady and hugged her. She was very sweet and welcomed his hug. She then tried to chat with him. She turned to me and said warmly while touching my arm "You're really blessed. I hope you know that."
On a bad day, when the stimming is rocking the house and the sleeplessness is damn near killing us both, I probably would have disagreed. But on that day....that one perfect day at the Farmer's Market and on several others......I knew she was right. This kid of mine is my privilege. My joy, my comfort, my strength and my challenge. My son. The light and love of my life. And I don't know life any other way.


Comments