Skip to main content

Library Non-Fiction Picks

 The great thing about socialism is all the great FREE stuff you get!  Public libraries are probably one of my faves.  I often hear about a book I'd like to read from a news story or a podcast and then pop into the library to check it out.....for FREE! But honestly my favorite library activity is simply perusing the shelves quietly, languidly, but with purpose.  My heart and mind always lead me to the non-fiction....mostly memoirs and social sciences.  Here are some recent interesting picks:



This book by Jason Reynolds and Jason Griffon is labeled as a Young Adult read and is a lovely hodgepodge of poetry, art and memoir.  Written by two young guys just out of college who chose to navigate New York City together, it highlights the struggle of the young, often hungry, creatives who decide to try their luck in big cities.



I think this book was mainly written for women in their 20's and 30's looking to land a man and start a family immediately if not sooner.  In other words, not really a dating guide meant for an old bag like me!  However, there were a few nuggets of wisdom to be mined......specifically the idea of trusting your own intuition, following your own inner compass and not always asking the advice of well-meaning friends around you.  That is advice I needed to hear.



I bet a lot of readers picked this book up expecting an amusingly light romp and then discovering it is a heavily-annotated college-reading type of journal essays. I know that's what happened to me.  But even though it was a bit challenging to read at times, I learned quite a bit about southern vernacular and where words and phrases like "tacky" and "white trash" come from.  Both riveting and revolting at times.  There are also chapters on southern tacky in television scripted and reality shows, the use of pedophilia in southern literature and how Dolly became both a drag queen icon and symbol of New South diplomacy.  

Stay tuned for my next library escapade coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...