Skip to main content

Hulu Pick: Pretty Baby

 


In this fascinating two-part documentary, a very articulate and intelligent Ms. Shields hashes over her career beginning with child model to actress, wife, mother, writer, advocate.  

I think it's pretty true to assume, as is discussed throughout the doc, that a movie like "Pretty Baby" wouldn't get made today.  The question is: why did it ever get made back then???

The nostalgia of this doc is truly enjoyable.  All of the ads, personal appearances, variety shows and of course the infamous "Blue Lagoon" are what I remember of Brooke Shields when I was a kid.  She was the beauty ideal of the 1980's and an aspirational young lady to boot.  She was always so soft-spoken and intelligent in interviews and then, I'll be darned if she didn't go to Princeton!  And she married the gorgeous and talented Andre Agassi......she had it all!

The more grown-up and astute Brooke Shields looks back at the more difficult parts in her life: the relationship with her functional-alcoholic mom/manager, her rape by an unnamed man in the entertainment industry, the divorce from Andre, her difficult postpartum depression experience including being raked over the coals by Tom Cruise (of all people!) in the press to coming into her own in the different facets of her life as a wife and mother and in her career.

It's hard to know if Brooke ever really wanted the life she had, but she definitely took it and made the best of it.  Even through all the difficulties with her mother, she still speaks of her with love and respect.  

Brooke Shields, a true class act.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...