This film, which kind of both mocks and celebrates an aging Goth rock star, is kinda disjointed and hard to follow. On the other hand, it makes perfect sense, is kinda beautiful and turns out just the way you think it will....kinda like a Goth song! I'm sucked into anything that has a song title as a movie title and a character that looks this much like Robert Smith, but my hubs did lose interest. The cast is excellent, especially Sean Penn, who once again reminds us all that he's pretty much the Meryl Streep male-counterpart of one of the great actors of our time. If you miss the 80's and dig stories of redemption, this one's for you....as weird as it may be.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...