Guns n Roses is riding a high wave right now. Celebrating the 30th anniversary of their album, Appetite for Destruction, and out on a tour aptly titled "Not in This Lifetime......" the dirty rock kittens of Los Angeles are older, wiser, and finally getting their due for an awesome debut record.
Now I'll admit I didn't like GnR back in the day. I was 12 years old when Appetite came out. I didn't get it, and I wasn't supposed to. The guys in Guns looked dirty to me. I preferred my rock gods to be cleaner and more glamorous which is why I probably gravitated more toward Poison, Whitesnake and Winger. There was something a little scary about GnR, and the 12 year-old girl in me was not ready to find that out. Not yet.
Thirty years later I get all the fuss. Appetite is a very nearly perfect rock record. It's sleazy, it's sexy, it's raucous....it's rock n roll. My favorite tracks are "It's So Easy" (as inappropriate as it is), "Mr. Brownstone" (as dark as it is), and "Welcome to the Jungle" because it's probably one of the best preludes to an album ever. This record reminds you of what the 80's were all about: saying what you meant, doing what you wanted and fuck the consequences. Again, ideas that made no sense to me as an adolescent but mean a hell of a lot more now.
Over the years, GnR came to become more known for the excess, their tempers and worse. They had other great songs and awesome albums, but none quite as prolific as the first. This tour has been fairly redemptive for a couple of guys that we never thought we'd see share the stage again.....making 12 year-olds and grown women everywhere very happy indeed.
