Skip to main content

Dear Summer......A Long Overdue Ending to a Bad Romance

Dear Summer,




You probably know what I'm going to say.  Haven't we been through this year after year?  You come around in early June, sometimes even in May.  At first, I'm glad to see you, but then after a few weeks we're back in our same old slump.  I don't know what to say, Summer.  Maybe it's my fault.  I get all excited in welcoming you....I go out and buy new clothes, cute tumblers for iced tea and new pool floats.  And then before I know it, you're trashing everything with your storms and incessant heat waves.  Do you really expect us to be able to have friends when you act that way, Summer? 


I know you want me to say the whole "it's not you, it's me" bit, but I just really can't do that this time.  It IS you, Summer.  You ruin my makeup, you frizz up my hair, you melt my kid's ice cream....you, you, you do all that.....not me!  How can I take the blame for the things you do????


I feel bad, Summer.  This is all coming out all wrong.  I'm not owning up to my part in all this.  I let you come back around every year, and I've now realized that I fill you with false hope about us lasting.  That was unfair of me.  But then again, you know you'll leave again by mid-September or early October at the very latest......so am I really the one who's ending this?  Believe me, I'm just beating you to the punch on a clock that is clicking down every day.  Maybe I'd just rather cut it off early this year and get ready for Fall.  Now Summer, you always knew that Fall was back there waiting around in the background....you can't act surprised.  Fall and I have been a thing for years, don't be naive.  I don't mention him much because I don't want to hurt you, but it's true that Fall is never far from my mind. 


I'm not expecting you to leave right away.  I know you have friends to say goodbye to and even hang out with a little longer......I know you have plenty of other people and places that show you love.  I've never given enough of that to you, and for that, I truly do apologize.


I hope we can be friends, I really do.  Hell, you know I'll be ready to see you again in about 6 months!  By then, you'll be off to better places with people that really appreciate you.  That will be my loss, Summer, and I'll just have to deal with it.


I will forever cherish our memories, Summer, and not just from this year but from year's past as well.....all the beach trips, lazy days, late twilights and fireflies.....only you can bring that.  No one can ever take that away from us.  And on the bright side, school is starting soon, and I know you've never been one to hang around long after that.  So really, you see, this is better for all of us, Summer.....to make that break now.


I wish you all the best and will look forward to your return next May.....actually June would be preferable, but I'll leave that up to you.  I promise I'll try to be better prepared next year and not expect actions you just can't deliver.  I'm going to work on that this Fall and Winter....I promise I will.


Until then, Summer, all my love to you.  When it was good, it really was good.

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...