Skip to main content

Simple Gifts From Me to You

Can we all agree that life can sometimes be hard?  Especially it times like these when there are soooo many things to disagree on and opinions are everywhere.  I try, really try, to find the good, the humor and the lightheartedness where I can.  Think about your own list, but feel free to use mine until you do.


Greetings & Salutations:


I work with a lot of dudes.  They all tend to say things like "what's up, bud?" or "what's up, bo?" or similar when starting a phone conversation or walking up to one another.  They also sign off either with 10-4.  I don't know why, but I like that. 


I also used to work with a lot of women who called each other "Miss Lady" but in a kind way.  I really like that too.


Catching Yourself in a Moment:


My son was having a horseback riding lesson the other day.  The sun was shining, a Ray Charles song was playing from out of the barn and my son was trotting with a big smile.  I was reminded of the awesome Kurt Vonnegut quote: "I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." 


Hearing an Old Favorite Song on the Radio:


It's rare, I think, to happen these days but whenever you hear one it's still a treat.


Enjoying a Shared Interest or Commonality:


One day a coworker and I had a big laugh over the Deadeye Dick song "New Age Girl".  He said "she don't eat meat......." and I finished the line for him.  Later it became our joke of the day.  A little cute moment like that can get you through an otherwise long and sometimes tedious day.  (My hubby hates that song, btw.)  We also all talked about the beauty and allure of Winnie Cooper one day.  Google her.


Be Kids Every Now and Then:


On a recent Sunday, my hubby and I were laying on opposite couches facing each other.  We were talking and laughing about nothing in particular.  That moment reminded me of being kids at a sleep-over or maybe even separated because we were in trouble.  Something about it just made me laugh and made me feel safe and happy.


Make Fun of Yourself:


I have (more than once, I'll admit) tried to walk into the next door office in my business park.  One day a next door employee saw me and ran out to tell me I could come on in.  I told him "You weren't supposed to see that!  Don't see me!"  He laughed and repeated "don't see me!" several times.  I still think it's funny myself even though I'm the dumbass that doesn't know where she works apparently!


Chewing Gum:


When was the last time you just chewed some gum?  Seriously?  It's deeply satisfying.


The Joy of the Cold Glass-Bottled Soda:


It's just super cold and reminds me of childhood.  I prefer a nice Cheerwine (it's local, people) or maybe a Nehi Peach.  You can't go wrong with a Classic Coke either.  Around here, lots of folks will put peanuts in their cokes, guzzle it down and then eat the peanuts from the bottom.  Maybe it's a Southern thing or a mill village thing, I don't know.


Napping:


With your sweetheart or your child.  You will wake up reborn.  I guarantee it.





Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...