I didn't even realize this was a Patricia Highsmith novel until after all the Oscar buzz started. Being a fan of her literary intrigue, I had to scoop it up. But then I really didn't enjoy it. The book was just a little too slow-moving for me, and besides that had a tinge of depression I didn't like. So I didn't finish it.
But I decided to get the movie anyway, and it was actually pretty slow-moving and depressing too. However, it did have that spark of exquisite beauty that just couldn't be conveyed by the novel....that spark that is Cate Blanchett. I will never in my life have the sophistication of Cate Blanchett. She pretty much made the movie, but I still didn't love it. It did make me think a lot about privacy and self-determination and how hard it was to come by just a few decades back. And that was about as heavy as I wanted to go on a Sunday evening!

