I'm at the point now that I really don't know why I even pick up her books. I think it's simply to affirm that I still don't like her. She spins a good tale, but all of her characters are always the same (i.e. different versions of herself) and they're not all that likeable. Besides all that, I just don't have enough label knowledge to live in Lancaster's world. Oh, well. I'll take that. And? She writes her novels like blog posts. And how do I know that? Because, duh? I'm a blogger too? (Reading this in up-speak as a question makes it all fit. Trust me.)
Seriously, though. I shouldn't hate on Jen Lancaster. She's really funny and has made a dream life for herself as a writer, and that is a dream that many of us would love to catch. If she were just a little nicer and not so style/money/fame obsessed, I would probably be her biggest cheerleader. But I know why her books, both fiction and non-fiction resonate.......she is writing the type of women we are all surrounded by every day. And don't we all read these books because we want to congratulate ourselves that we haven't (yet) crossed that razor thin line of bitchiness ourselves? Maybe.
As pompous as it may sound (but I'm sure not nearly as pompous as Jen or any of her characters) I think I read her books for the same reason I sometimes watch a little Real Housewives or the Kardashians: to keep myself humble. And advice for anyone with all the fame and doe to buy all the best labels, a little of that, goes a long way.
