My coworker keeps copies of the magazine, Game Informer, in the ladies room of our shop. She's a gamer, I should add.
So every time I sit down to go, I start singing the awful rap song "Informer" in my head. (For you kiddies, this was a tune with completely unintelligible lyrics by the performer, Snow, that was strangely and wildly popular in 1992.)
And it's weird that I'm talking about bathroom habits because I'm the type of person that doesn't think conversation like this is really suitable among adults. I even eschew movies like "There's Something About Mary" because they are basically a running list of jokes that I call "bathroom humor". Here's a particulary easy-to-remember scene that occurred, you guessed it, in the bathroom.
And even though we don't like to admit it, there are times when using the facilities become a very big part of our lives that we talk about quite a bit. Pregnant women and mothers of toddlers are the most guilty. I remember very well being caught up in discussing toileting habits during those times in my life.
But lately, bathroom talk has taken on a more serious tone here in North Carolina and in America in general. I've already written about the implications on business and my perspective on this issue. It is BIGGER than bathrooms. It definitely is. But it also is as simple as bathrooms.
It's as simple as the feeling of relief that we all know. It's as simple as talking about our kids' diapers. It's as simple as women laughing about how we pee ourselves when we laugh too hard. It's also about safety. And safety really is that simple. When transgendered people are forced by law to go into a restroom where it doesn't look like they belong, their safety is put at risk. Needing to pee? Simple. Needing to pee without being beat up (or worse) while doing it? Also simple.
So I figured if we were going to act like juveniles about it (and when I say we, I really mean them) then why don't we just cut the shit (couldn't help myself) and be honest about what we're talking about here? We're talking about using the john, hitting the head, making doody, going pee-pee. We're talking about being human.
The other issues on this bill are much bigger. Much, much bigger. But for a start, let's all get on the same page with treating each other equally. And I think we'll all do a better job (I said "job") at that if all of our bladders were emptied, don't you?
(This post is written with humor about a very serious subject. I don't take it lightly and neither should you. Get more informed about how HB2 could affect your friends and neighbors and you. Ask questions if you're concerned. Attend events. Be a part of the solution.)
So every time I sit down to go, I start singing the awful rap song "Informer" in my head. (For you kiddies, this was a tune with completely unintelligible lyrics by the performer, Snow, that was strangely and wildly popular in 1992.)
And it's weird that I'm talking about bathroom habits because I'm the type of person that doesn't think conversation like this is really suitable among adults. I even eschew movies like "There's Something About Mary" because they are basically a running list of jokes that I call "bathroom humor". Here's a particulary easy-to-remember scene that occurred, you guessed it, in the bathroom.
And even though we don't like to admit it, there are times when using the facilities become a very big part of our lives that we talk about quite a bit. Pregnant women and mothers of toddlers are the most guilty. I remember very well being caught up in discussing toileting habits during those times in my life.
But lately, bathroom talk has taken on a more serious tone here in North Carolina and in America in general. I've already written about the implications on business and my perspective on this issue. It is BIGGER than bathrooms. It definitely is. But it also is as simple as bathrooms.
It's as simple as the feeling of relief that we all know. It's as simple as talking about our kids' diapers. It's as simple as women laughing about how we pee ourselves when we laugh too hard. It's also about safety. And safety really is that simple. When transgendered people are forced by law to go into a restroom where it doesn't look like they belong, their safety is put at risk. Needing to pee? Simple. Needing to pee without being beat up (or worse) while doing it? Also simple.
So I figured if we were going to act like juveniles about it (and when I say we, I really mean them) then why don't we just cut the shit (couldn't help myself) and be honest about what we're talking about here? We're talking about using the john, hitting the head, making doody, going pee-pee. We're talking about being human.
The other issues on this bill are much bigger. Much, much bigger. But for a start, let's all get on the same page with treating each other equally. And I think we'll all do a better job (I said "job") at that if all of our bladders were emptied, don't you?
(This post is written with humor about a very serious subject. I don't take it lightly and neither should you. Get more informed about how HB2 could affect your friends and neighbors and you. Ask questions if you're concerned. Attend events. Be a part of the solution.)






