When this movie came out, I remember it had a huge cult following almost instantly of people mostly right around my age. I didn't see it because I didn't think it would really speak to me. It was 2004 and I was 29 and married with a toddler son. Slacker twenty-something life didn't really register on my radar.
So now at age 40, it plays more like a period piece of misspent and somewhat depressed Gen-X youth that I was not a part of because I settled down at age 23. And I'm okay with that.
Of course there's a much greater story here having to do with the over-medication of children, dysfunctional family systems and the inability to make the leap into adulthood.
I wouldn't really call it a "feel-good" movie, but the soundtrack's not too bad when it's not trying so hard to be precious. (Think light, indie coffee house tunes. The kind my husband hates on principle.)
Even though this is a much better small, indie flick than many that I've chosen lately, I would only recommend watching this movie if you've come a long way since your twenties and are feeling much happier now. Otherwise, you might be depressed for days.
So now at age 40, it plays more like a period piece of misspent and somewhat depressed Gen-X youth that I was not a part of because I settled down at age 23. And I'm okay with that.
Of course there's a much greater story here having to do with the over-medication of children, dysfunctional family systems and the inability to make the leap into adulthood.
I wouldn't really call it a "feel-good" movie, but the soundtrack's not too bad when it's not trying so hard to be precious. (Think light, indie coffee house tunes. The kind my husband hates on principle.)
Even though this is a much better small, indie flick than many that I've chosen lately, I would only recommend watching this movie if you've come a long way since your twenties and are feeling much happier now. Otherwise, you might be depressed for days.
