I picked up this book at the library with a lot of hope. First off, it looked self-published or from a small press, so I was intrigued by a little book that could. Second, I thought "heh, a book about retail life....who can't relate?"
Ummmm.....I was a little disappointed.
For one thing, the book is boring as hell. Young Christians saving the Big V until marriage? Snooze fest. I'm not saying that a novel can only be good if it's full of tragedy and pain, but a good one does require a little edge and how can I put this......reality, maybe? This book was so white and nerdy it made Weird Al look like a gang-banger.
It's not that I'm anti-Christian.....well.....maybe a little. But one part in this book really bothered me. The main character, Penn, (indulge yourself much, author?) is having a conversation with his supervisor in the store and discovers she's a lesbian. He pretty much gives her the whole love-the-sinner-hate-the-sin and who-am-I-to-judge speech, and after all that she actually tells him that she respects him all the more for it.
What the whaaaa?
I guess that's the problem with a lot of Christians today. They really do think they're doing us all a favor by loving us without judgment. How sweet and godly of them.
And don't even get me started on the roommate's rant about everything that was wrong with Fantasia. Yes, the Disney movie. "It's got racism, it's got nudity, it's got drunkenness, and it's got devil worship. Oh, and evolution."
Can't make this stuff up.
I'm sure this author is a super sweet and a stand-up guy, but since I get the feeling this book is largely autobiographical I wouldn't really care to hang out with him. To me, the main character came off like a pompous ass in Christian clothing. No thanks.
As for the retail life? It's actually fairly on-point. Unfortunately, the WWJD bit ruins it for me. Vaya con dios, Mr. D-D.
Ummmm.....I was a little disappointed.
For one thing, the book is boring as hell. Young Christians saving the Big V until marriage? Snooze fest. I'm not saying that a novel can only be good if it's full of tragedy and pain, but a good one does require a little edge and how can I put this......reality, maybe? This book was so white and nerdy it made Weird Al look like a gang-banger.
It's not that I'm anti-Christian.....well.....maybe a little. But one part in this book really bothered me. The main character, Penn, (indulge yourself much, author?) is having a conversation with his supervisor in the store and discovers she's a lesbian. He pretty much gives her the whole love-the-sinner-hate-the-sin and who-am-I-to-judge speech, and after all that she actually tells him that she respects him all the more for it.
What the whaaaa?
I guess that's the problem with a lot of Christians today. They really do think they're doing us all a favor by loving us without judgment. How sweet and godly of them.
And don't even get me started on the roommate's rant about everything that was wrong with Fantasia. Yes, the Disney movie. "It's got racism, it's got nudity, it's got drunkenness, and it's got devil worship. Oh, and evolution."
Can't make this stuff up.
I'm sure this author is a super sweet and a stand-up guy, but since I get the feeling this book is largely autobiographical I wouldn't really care to hang out with him. To me, the main character came off like a pompous ass in Christian clothing. No thanks.
As for the retail life? It's actually fairly on-point. Unfortunately, the WWJD bit ruins it for me. Vaya con dios, Mr. D-D.
