I really loved his earlier memoir Boy Kings of Texas, but I didn't love this one as much. In the earlier book about his childhood, I found myself rooting for Martinez. But in this book, I just found myself not liking him very much. There is something in this book for people dealing with loss and tragedy, I'll consent there. But there's just something about people that use too many 50 cent words and who are too smart for their own goods all the while hurting good people around them. I feel for them, but I don't want to get too close. Martinez is a good story-teller, no doubt, and I have a lot of respect for someone who really tells the truth.....even if it means it won't win you many friends.
I really loved his earlier memoir Boy Kings of Texas, but I didn't love this one as much. In the earlier book about his childhood, I found myself rooting for Martinez. But in this book, I just found myself not liking him very much. There is something in this book for people dealing with loss and tragedy, I'll consent there. But there's just something about people that use too many 50 cent words and who are too smart for their own goods all the while hurting good people around them. I feel for them, but I don't want to get too close. Martinez is a good story-teller, no doubt, and I have a lot of respect for someone who really tells the truth.....even if it means it won't win you many friends.
