I remember those days.
To say it was hard doesn't begin to cover it. You're reeling. You're confused. You're scared. And if you're like me, you're trying to prove to everyone, including yourself, that you can handle it. When I look back on those early years......the time before I knew there was autism and I thought I just had a "difficult" kid and the time after when I had a word to go with the issues......I sometimes I wonder how I got through it.
And even though these days are still a struggle and still require a good bit of reordering and rethinking, I do think it gets easier over time. You learn how to make it work. You learn how to give and get him what he needs. You learn how to take care of yourself. As another wise AU parent has said to me, you find "a new normal".
So if there was anything I could say to Jacqueline it would be to keep your chin up and to just keep doing your best. Parenthood doesn't come with instructions, and the parenting of a special needs child definitely doesn't. I would also want to thank her for being honest and true about the situation. It's not all sweet moments of discovery and learning breakthroughs. There is a lot of heartbreak and dirty messes along the way. You have the microphone right now, Jacqueline. Take it and give a true picture of autism to the folks out there who still don't know. You could be paving a new road both for the kids and for us parents.
And here is something I couldn't have heard enough of back then: you're doing a good job.....keep it up.....and it will all be okay. It will, Jacqueline. It really will.
