The Atlanta trip turned out to be a good one and not nearly as much of a traffic headache as we anticipated. (That's all we heard in the days leading up......the ATL traffic is so bad!) I think our secret was traveling early in the day and staying outside of the downtown area. It was hot, sure, but we live in North Carolina.....the whole area is hot.....it's summer, people! Unfortunately we didn't get the opportunity to indulge in much local flavor like interesting restaurants or shops, but we did really like our hotel and the staff there, Hyatt Place Airport. Maybe we'll go for another visit sometime and see more of the city, but only if I can be sure not to run into Kim Zolciak Biermann. She's scary. We also had fun playing our special Georgia mix on the drive-up......plenty of REM, Indigo Girls, Usher and the like but not nearly enough ATL rap for my hubby. Guess he'll make the mix next time!
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

Comments