Skip to main content

Holidays Manners All Year Long!

Since we're smack dab in the middle of the holiday season, can I put my two cents in on how us humans ought to interact with others?  Some of y'all need reminding it seems.  I'll use the emotion characters from Inside Out as a guide since many of ya'll seem to operate on an, uh, childlike level.


Anger: keep it in check. First off, as a person who both delivers and partakes of Customer Service on the phone on a regular basis, can I offer some advice?  Raising your voice, complaining, interrupting and arguing are in no way the ideal way to provide customer service.  I once read many years ago that it helps to smile while you're talking on the phone, and I'll admit I use that advice quite a bit.  Every now and then I'll have a particularly aggravated customer that I can't talk off the ledge.  It's rare but it happens.  I take down the information and end the call as politely as I can.  There's no reason everyone can't do that.  There's also no reason why we can't be as congenial to the person who is helping us.  Most of the time, that person is just the poor schmo who was unlucky enough to answer the phone but who are in no way implicated in the crime rendered against you.  Think about that before you release your hounds.  These rules apply both on the phone and in person with desk clerks, sales representatives and fast food workers.  Yes, them too.

Joy: it's nearly always welcome.  If you receive excellent service, care or concern you should definitely alert someone!  Tell the rep that is helping you that they're awesome.  Tell their manager on the way out the door.  Leave a good tip.  Take the survey at the end of the call.  Good service deserves reward and stands as a positive reinforcement toward continuing that level of care.  And don't smugly tell me that's a person's job and they should just do it anyway.  We all respond to rewards and positive reinforcements.  Yeah, we really are that much like pets. Oh!  And it doesn't hurt to use ma'am and sir when appropriate, smile at folks you're interacting with, call people by name when you can and to say thank you. 

Sadness: consider the time and place.  The holidays can bring out some sadness in people, and it's also understood by many.  That is no excuse to ride it roughshod over everyone you come in contact with.  So you're sad you just broke up with your girl.....is that any reason to ruin our company night-out part-tay?  Sad feelings, depression, anxiety and the like deserve treatment and care of your doctor and trusted loved ones.  Not the toll booth operator you see everyday.  Just sayin.

Disgust: a little goes a long way.  A bad experience in sales or hospitality services does deserve a reprimand, but not an all-out war.  I continue to be amazed at the stories you read about folks not only not tipping a food server but going so far as to leaving a nasty note explaining why.  That along with the folks who ask management to fire a person. Do you really want that on your conscience?  And what's with this hypersensitivity about how we wish one another well during holiday times?  Smile and wish them the same and move it along!  At least we're talking to each other, right?

Fear: it may be yours alone.  We live in a time that is full of fear and generalized anxiety.  Look at the crime!  Look at the terrorism!  Look at the traffic!  These concerns do tend to bring out legitimate fear in many of us, but do we need to have everyone scared along with us?  While it's true that there is a surge in some types of crimes during the holiday season and a healthy dose of caution may be in order, does it have to run your life?  Your fears don't inflict everyone, so think about how you may be ruining someone else's good time with your fraidy cat behavior.  Yeah. I said fraidy cat!

When it comes down to it, manners and courtesy are important every day but there's never a brighter light shined on them than during the holiday season.  Maybe it's a forced feeling of charity or maybe we do all genuinely want to try harder, but the stress gets in the way.  Either way, we all need to work on it.  I've always loved the following quote which I see online quite a bit:

If there was ever a time to put this proverb into practice, the holidays would be the time.  Try it!


Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...