If you were a child of the 70's and 80's like me, you grew up listening to the music of Dan Fogelberg. It was everywhere. This dude was pretty much the patron saint of heartbreak and romance. But probably one of his saddest songs is one that gets trotted out for the holidays every year, the 1981 classic, Same Old Lang Syne.
Now this song is melancholy. It's schmaltzy. And it's not even really about Christmas, but the last lines of it do manage to get me every time:
Now this song is melancholy. It's schmaltzy. And it's not even really about Christmas, but the last lines of it do manage to get me every time:
"Just for a moment I was back at school
And felt that old familiar pain
And, as I turned to make my way back home
The snow turned into rain...."
And felt that old familiar pain
And, as I turned to make my way back home
The snow turned into rain...."
So good on you and rest in peace, Dan Fogelberg. I think you knew what you were doing with that whole singer/songwriter thang.
