Skip to main content

Book Pick: A Little Thing Called Life


I really enjoyed this book even though I wanted it to be more dishy.  Yeah, I guess I'm just catty like that. (C'mon, Linda....say something snarky about Kris K....you know you wanna!)  It's hard not to love Linda Thompson as she seems like a genuinely sweet and loving woman....a real Southern girl!  The upsetting part of this book was realizing that Elvis was more than a little controlling of young Linda in their relationship.  I also had the strong feeling that Linda was not always truly loved and adored by the men in her life the way she should have been.  Her respect and abiding love for every relationship she discusses is admirable, even if she does come across as a bit of a pushover at times.  I never really dig a woman or man that's only famous for who they've coupled with because that alone doesn't always make a person interesting (see Pattie Boyd).  But this isn't the case for Linda Thompson.  She seems to be a woman who we would have known  no matter what.  Maybe meeting Elvis at age 22 just let us get to know her earlier. 

This book also brought on a real nostalgia of The King and I ended up watching the "Aloha from Hawaii" TV special and imagining Linda watching Elvis in one of his first appearances of their relationship.  It was enough to bring a tear to my eye for the early loss of such a man.


Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...