Skip to main content

You Might Be a True Music Fan If........

Most people say they love music.  But then they tell you they watch The Voice.  If you're one of those people, this post may not be for you. 


I'm not trying to hate on the mainstream.  Not at all.  I've been one to indulge in the occasional admiration of Taylor Swift and even liked Milli Vanilli once upon a time.  I definitely grew up liking popular music because I was a big radio listener.  (I think radio is very different now, but that is a whole other discussion.) 


But I think there's a certain kind of people, either you are one or you know one, for whom music really means something else.  It's a feeling.  A belief system.  An art.  A culture.  It's a lifestyle.  A way of thinking.  You see something happen right in front of you and it either becomes a song or recalls one in your head.  You think in lyrics and listen in melody.  You have tastes all over the map.  You never say phrases like "I love all kinds of music, except......"


This post is for you, people.  Check off the ones that apply to you and keep moving over the ones that don't. Just know that you've found your people here.


You might be a true music fan if:


You're an adult home owner/renter who still has rock posters/flyers
at least somewhere in your domicile.

You're still upset about that whole Duran Duran/Arcadia deal.



You remember when Ice-T not only didn't play cops on TV,
he didn't even LIKE them.


You still have cassettes and records......
even if you don't have a device on which to play them.

Your wardrobe consists largely of band t-shirts, mostly local.

You have definitive opinions on Van Halen/Van Hagar.

You know that Lionel Richie had a bit of a foray into country.



You remember when Cyndi Lauper had something to do
with pro wrestling.
Sam Dunn is a personal hero of yours. 


You still miss Casey Kasem and are still
waiting to hear your "long distance dedication".


You are familiar with the phrases "Philadelphia soul" or
"the Philadelphia sound".
Most of the newish music that you like is either local or a
mainstream group that only your coolest of friends like too.


You still see Michael Stipe as his 80's self in  your head.

You take a day off for a concert or may
even follow a band on tour for vacation.

You got excited when you saw Steve Harris do this live.
And you know what "the gallop" means.
You feel at home among graffiti and stickers.
The more the better.

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...