This is a phenomenal film with a stellar cast. It's easy to see why it was nominated and won so many awards. It reminds all of us of just how important newspapers and true journalism can be to public knowledge, safety and awareness.
And it brought up something very personal in me. It reminded me of how I once wanted to be a reporter and then became a social worker. It reminded me of how sometimes it takes a group of small people to take down a group of big people. It reminded me how the Catholic Church treated me after my divorce when my ex wanted to marry a Catholic. It reminded me of why I'm an atheist.
It reminded me of what it used to be like to interview abused kids and how that breakthrough confessional moment was both a relief and a heartbreak. When the reporters in the film started taking it home with me.....well....I remembered that feeling too.
And for the record, I know the Catholic Church does good work all over the world. I know that, and I don't argue with it. But all the good in the world won't undo 1/10th of the bad if this is what the bad is. And this, dear readers, is the bad we know about. This is the bad that was tracked down by some very smart and unrelenting reporters. What else don't we know about?
And it brought up something very personal in me. It reminded me of how I once wanted to be a reporter and then became a social worker. It reminded me of how sometimes it takes a group of small people to take down a group of big people. It reminded me how the Catholic Church treated me after my divorce when my ex wanted to marry a Catholic. It reminded me of why I'm an atheist.
It reminded me of what it used to be like to interview abused kids and how that breakthrough confessional moment was both a relief and a heartbreak. When the reporters in the film started taking it home with me.....well....I remembered that feeling too.
And for the record, I know the Catholic Church does good work all over the world. I know that, and I don't argue with it. But all the good in the world won't undo 1/10th of the bad if this is what the bad is. And this, dear readers, is the bad we know about. This is the bad that was tracked down by some very smart and unrelenting reporters. What else don't we know about?
