I learned about this book the way I find a lot of my best picks: from NPR. Listening to Jesse Eisenberg read from and describe the book had me instantly interested. And to read it myself was completely charming and delightful. I also love that it is full of instant quotables from 9 year-olds giving restaurant reviews, middle-aged dads berating their snowflake kids and college girls arguing about Bosnia and roommates. A cute read that is full of hidden insight and also light enough to not kill your sunny day pool vibes.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...
