Now that my niece is 12, I feel like she's ready for her musical training to begin with her wacky aunt. I'm hoping to teach the young grasshoppa that there's more to life than Top 40. I had to really work hard to find CDs in the house, because seriously, who has them anymore? But I thought these 4 here might be a good starter pack toward a lifetime of seeking and finding great music beyond what the radio plays for her. We'll see what happens.....
Indigo Girls
Despite Our Differences, 2006
Not my favorite record of theirs, but has some really
great tracks including Three County Highway,
and Little Perennials, which is a fave of The Droid. Also
has a really rocking tune featuring Pink!
(Yeah, that Pink!)
Dave Matthews Band
Crash, 1996.
Again, not my favorite record of a favorite band
but probably the first really recognized mainstream release
of the band at that time. Has the very well-know title cut
as well as the awesome tunes Drive In, Drive Out and
Lie in Our Graves. Oh, and it has Two Step and #41.
You know, this actually is a pretty good record!
It's no Remember Two Things or Under the Table,
but probably the last good one from this band.
(Sorry, Dave.....I still think you're cute.)
The Beatles
#1, 2000
I tried to give this one to the kid, but her Mimi snatched
it away for her own. But who wouldn't love it?
With all the great and memorable hits, it's the best
introduction to the band that should be in everyone's
favorites. If it's not, reevaluate your life's
priorities immediately!
The Joshua Tree
U2, 1987
The seminal record that made U2 a household name
in America. It's hard to really impart how much this
record meant to me in 1987 and how much more I came
to love it the older I got. I even made a very big point
of that fact that Where the Streets Have No Name is my
all-time favorite song of all time ever.
Here's hoping I can pass on the best to this
impressionable child! I'll report back with results!




