Skip to main content

Let's Talk About Breasts, Baby

So last year I tracked my day as I experienced my first mammogram.  I wanted women to not be afraid of their "first time" and approach the rite of passage with humor.


Then I had to have a second mammogram and wasn't feeling as light in my sneakers.  Everything turned out well, but it was a little scary, I can't lie.


Mammogram, this is my mean face.  I ain't skert of you!


So here I am today, heading out for what will be my 3rd mammogram within a year or so at age 41.  I'm feeling good about it, but I'm really hoping this year it will only take 1 to tell me I'm all good.  I'm actually going to spend the day in a fairly similar fashion to last year: dental cleaning, lunch, shopping, mammo and then gyno exam.  Then later, if I can still handle it after all that excitement, I'm gonna go out and see my favorite girl band in Charlotte, Dust & Ashes.  Because after all that, won't I deserve a night out with awesome music created by beautiful womerns?  I think so!


Gonna be a busy but productive day, peeps!


But ladies, seriously, I can't stress enough how important this is.  We talk about breasts all the time these days......Who's got the best ones?  Who paid for theirs?  How much of them should be seen while feeding a baby?  So if we can talk about all of that, we should also be talking about how to care for them and hopefully prevent their loss.  I'll admit that I'm not good at doing home self-exams.  I try, but I just can't tell if I really feel something or not.  So I'm glad to go in every year and let my trusty midwife give her opinion.  I myself need some more education, and I'll admit it. 


Love her or hate her, Erin Brockovich knew what she was doing.
"They're called breasts, Ed" was her succinct reply to her boss
as to how she was going to uncover all the corporate secrets of PG&E.


So let's all do this.  Instead of looking for the cutest tops and bras to make them look awesome, let's be proactive in their care.  Get your mammogram if you're due.  And especially if you have concerns or family history, see your doctor and discuss it. 


Venus had some awesome ones.
Many agree that they are the most beautiful part of the woman's body.  And also, pretty functional and useful to infants.  Why wouldn't we take good care of them?  Schedule your mammo today!

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...