Confession: I used to really like country music. And I'm not talking about classic Willie and Johnny Cash it's okay to love country music. I mean pop country music. That stuff in the 90's. I'm talking about George Strait, Garth Brooks, The Dixie Chicks, Patty Loveless, Clay Walker, Toby Keith and maybe even a little Shania from time to time. All that!
I blame college. And a boy. (It always goes back to that, doesn't it?) I went to a small school in rural Eastern North Carolina. I never really liked country music before then, but with so few radio choices it was really all you had. Oh, and the boy. He was in a band.....actually a really good local band that played regular gigs in pretty hopping clubs in Fayetteville and surrounding areas. They played originals but also a lot of covers, so I got very well-acquainted with the catalogs of Clint Black and Little Texas.
And I liked it.
My dad used to always tell me that I wouldn't like or understand country music until I got much older. He was true and false. The songs about heartbreak, pain, redemption......the classics of Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson and all those Cashes......those didn't hit me until later. But this music here? This was about love. Your first time. Having fun. Being young. It was about me and my country kid friends. We were loving it. It was an awesome time.
So what do you think hearing all that does to me now? Well, skippy, it takes me straight back to 1993 - 1997, of course. (I suddenly smelled the distinct scent of a Bartles and James. How did that happen?)
Now don't get me wrong. There was a lot of other cool stuff I loved during that time period too. MTV was always on in my dorm room. My first roommate and I loved Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube and a lot of the other hot hip-hop of the time. And of course, I was still not over my high school love of grunge and "alternative" rock like REM and Pearl Jam.
But this modern country music of the 90's. It was a moment in time for me. And I will put it on from time to time and howl away. I still drive down quite a lot of rural roads in my long commutes. Every now and then, those roads take me back in time. And I don't hate the trip.
(P.S. I'd like to make a little note of thanks to my husband who understands me and loves me anyway. Life can't always be The Ramones and Lemmy. Just sayin.)
(P.P.S. In case you're wondering, no, I don't listen to that crap they call 'bro country' today. An argument could be made that Nirvana spawned Nickelback, but that ain't Nirvana's fault, if you get my meaning.)
(P.P.P.T.S.D. Can I just take a moment here to say something about being named BECKY and growing up in a town called DALLAS? Jesus H, the songs practically write themselves. Thanks, 'rents!)
I blame college. And a boy. (It always goes back to that, doesn't it?) I went to a small school in rural Eastern North Carolina. I never really liked country music before then, but with so few radio choices it was really all you had. Oh, and the boy. He was in a band.....actually a really good local band that played regular gigs in pretty hopping clubs in Fayetteville and surrounding areas. They played originals but also a lot of covers, so I got very well-acquainted with the catalogs of Clint Black and Little Texas.
And I liked it.
My dad used to always tell me that I wouldn't like or understand country music until I got much older. He was true and false. The songs about heartbreak, pain, redemption......the classics of Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson and all those Cashes......those didn't hit me until later. But this music here? This was about love. Your first time. Having fun. Being young. It was about me and my country kid friends. We were loving it. It was an awesome time.
So what do you think hearing all that does to me now? Well, skippy, it takes me straight back to 1993 - 1997, of course. (I suddenly smelled the distinct scent of a Bartles and James. How did that happen?)
![]() |
| Alan Jackson: He was in love with a woman and didn't even know her name! And he sang about the Tall, Tall Trees! Sheesh, I love him. |
![]() |
| Deana Carter: If her Strawberry Wine doesn't remind you of someone or some very particular moment of your youth, I just feel bad for you. I really do. |
![]() |
| George Strait: They don't call him King George for nothing. Too many to choose really, but I've always been partial to Amarillo by Morning and who doesn't love The Chair? But then again, there's Lead On. Whoooboy. |
![]() |
| Brooks & Dunn: I will never stop loving Brand New Man and the memories of county fairs and rodeos with long-haul truck stages. |
![]() |
| Clay Walker: I have a friend who is still deeply devoted, but I've always just continued to turn to Dreaming With My Eyes Wide Open for inspiration when I'm up against it all. |
![]() |
| Garth Brooks: He was not my favorite artist of the time, but he can't be overlooked either. Anybody with an ounce of country soul that I know loves The Dance. That song is almost too sad to listen to if you ask me. But I do like The River because I'm all about motivation. And I've always loved his version of To Make You Feel My Love. Oh, yeah....and Ain't Going Down is the best song that will remind you of your youth and make you hope you never have daughters or that they never want to date. (You know what I'm talking about.) |
![]() |
| But I think we're all gonna have to let Garth off the hook for Chris Gaines. Because we all make mistakes and Lost in You was really not a bad song. Let's all be nice. |
![]() |
| Bryan White: Didn't have a huge memorable catalog, but will remain forever in my heart for a little ditty called Rebecca Lynn that follows me to this day. |
![]() |
| Little Texas: Whenever somebody is talking smack about the Lone Star State, I'm always inclined to say "well you know.... God blessed Texas". If you don't get it, that's your prob. |
![]() |
| Pam Tillis: If you've ever been "a bad girl" you will love Spilled Perfume. |
Now don't get me wrong. There was a lot of other cool stuff I loved during that time period too. MTV was always on in my dorm room. My first roommate and I loved Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube and a lot of the other hot hip-hop of the time. And of course, I was still not over my high school love of grunge and "alternative" rock like REM and Pearl Jam.
But this modern country music of the 90's. It was a moment in time for me. And I will put it on from time to time and howl away. I still drive down quite a lot of rural roads in my long commutes. Every now and then, those roads take me back in time. And I don't hate the trip.
(P.S. I'd like to make a little note of thanks to my husband who understands me and loves me anyway. Life can't always be The Ramones and Lemmy. Just sayin.)
(P.P.S. In case you're wondering, no, I don't listen to that crap they call 'bro country' today. An argument could be made that Nirvana spawned Nickelback, but that ain't Nirvana's fault, if you get my meaning.)
(P.P.P.T.S.D. Can I just take a moment here to say something about being named BECKY and growing up in a town called DALLAS? Jesus H, the songs practically write themselves. Thanks, 'rents!)











