Skip to main content

Best & Brightest vs. Loud & Weirdest

My local newspaper recently published a piece on graduating high school seniors that were dubbed "The Best and Brightest".  I'm guessing that means they were high achievers in school and are now off to college on well-achieved scholarship.


I know because once upon a time, I was one of them.


And I keep wondering what happens to the Best & Brightest of the world out there?  Do they become President?  Entrepreneurs?  Famous or maybe infamous?


We live in a time now in which some of our greatest minds are known for dropping out of college.  Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg both come to mind.  On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are scads of famous people that you didn't know were super smart.  Cindy Crawford was her high school valedictorian and so was Chevy Chase.


Do these labels mark us for life?  Or do they give us something to rise against, up to or above for the rest of it? 


My dad dropped out of high school, became a married teen father, later earned a GED and then a contractor's license and is now one of the most financially and personally successful men I know. 


I went to college as a highly decorated graduate, finished in four years cum laude, have had numerous jobs, am barely financially viable and still feel like I'm trying to "find" myself in my forties.


Who's the success story here?


The question is, what are these labels worth?  Do you even remember who the Valedictorian of your class was?  Who was voted Most Likely to Succeed?  And if you kept up with your high school buddies (beyond what they lie about on Fakebook, that is) did they really succeed?  And, further, who decides that? 


I was glad to get those accolades back in school, but in my older wisdom I see now how little they were worth.  I think striving for all that perfection made me give up some parts of me that I wish I had explored back when I was younger.  I wish I had been a little braver.  A little more adventurous.  I remember a friend joking when he saw me walking to the library during the first weekend we were back on campus during my sophomore year.  Did I really need to study that much? 


It took me years to figure out that I was weird and that was okay.  Imagine if I had embraced it back then?  I think I would have campaigned for the Best Daydreamer or Most Likely to Want to Learn to Read Tarot.


I'm not saying ambition and drive aren't good things.  If we all didn't at least have a little we wouldn't even own a pair of socks.  But is it all that necessary to be in a constant break-neck pace to be the Best & Brightest?  Especially while we're still so Young & Naive?  And isn't it possible to be both Successful & Relaxed?  Or maybe Well-Adjusted & Tempered? 


I'm not sure.  I will say that it seems to be a work in progress for me.  I wasn't named any of those Senior Superlatives.  These days I don't even think I'd get Best in Show.  But I am happier than I've ever been.  And rewards and accolades or not, that is definitely worth something. 



Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...