Skip to main content

Admin Profs Day: Or, What Have You Done for Me Lately?




Can we all just take a moment to think about Administrative Professional's Day?  Some naysayers call it just another holiday drummed up by Hallmark, but I disagree.  I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a day to say thanks to the many folks that keep the world humming.  But there's more to this story than a gift of delivered flowers or lunch out of the building.


She/he probably already has before you even
thought about it.  Just sayin.


I've had a lot of jobs in all the years I've been a working girl (heh) and many of them have been administrative in nature.  For some reason, the very idea of being an admin or honoring an admin is bothersome to certain peeps.  Let's look at that.


At this very moment, there is a bathroom therapy session of
admins somewhere in the world.  There always is.

For some reason, there has always been this connotation that being an admin is demeaning.  Some people in this role will tell you outright that they don't want to be called a "secretary".  I'm not quite sure why this is a bad word.  Secretaries, assistants, administrative professionals and the like perform some really important roles in our oh so busy world.  They keep track of people, of assets, answer phones and questions, manage time and schedules and often do it with a smile on their face.  And believe me, that shit ain't always easy. 


Even Murphy Brown couldn't keep a good one.
This is WELL documented.

And for anyone that has ever had this job, you know how hard it can be at times.  And for those that need the service of administrative professionals, you know how hard it can be to find a good one and keep him/her.  I was once in a job interview and said to the half dozen admins that were interviewing me that I believed it took a very special person with a very special set of skills to do what we do.  They all nodded knowingly.  I didn't get that job, but I think I made some friends that day.


Pam Beasley could juggle anything that came her way.  Even Michael Scott!



And why can it be such a hard job and so hard to keep a good admin?  Well, it's because you're basically a secretary/problem solver/writer/nurse/mother/sister/party planner/arbitrator/technical support/circus monkey/bank teller/receptionist/researcher/encyclopedic book of knowledge of all things that ever happened anywhere.  When was the last time you updated your resume and had one ounce of those skills?


Maybe Janet was talking about her day job.


So before you go getting all butt-hurt about having to buy flowers or take someone out to lunch today, think about all the things an administrative professional does for you in your life.  Does he make sure you get your messages?  Does she make sure you get paid?  Does she settle down the complainers?  Does he clean up the literal and figurative messes?  Does he make sure there's always: coffee, cookies, toilet paper, pens, extra chairs, and even crayons when your kids come in?


If you answered yes to even one of those, you've got yourself a great assistant.  And a damn good reason for springing for lunch today.

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...