Set in England's aristocracy in the late 1800's, this book is just my style. It has political intrigue, liveried footmen, gossiping servants, English country houses, romance, forbidden love and all those rules and mannerisms that would have killed me if I had ever been a part of it! Not as intellectual as a lot of the historical fiction I usually read, but still culturally and historically on point for its time. And it has this nugget of wisdom from one wise woman to a younger one:
"Well, at least I have managed to put something in your head other than waltzing and cavalry officers. Men are all very well, and a good husband can be enormously useful, but women like us need something to do."
Sometimes even these days it's hard to be a creative and independent woman in this patriarchy. I can only imagine what it would have been like then.
