Le sigh. I have such a love/hate relationship with Jen Lancaster. And it doesn't seem to be improving.
With each book, I feel less so.
And it's funny because in this most recent memoir (how many of those can one person write, exactly?) she waxes on about how people are so mean to her in online formats. The only thing I can think is this, Jen: you're not really that lovable. (Smug. That pretty much sums it up. And it's the word I see again and again when readers review her.) Not that you have to be lovable. That may not be your goal or even on your radar. But if you're really looking to learn and grow (like you always say you are) maybe you should consider that's why trolls are always busting your chops.
But I will say that and still be quick to tell anyone to be yourself. Haters be damned!
I'll admit I don't like to be hated on by online trolls either. It's low-down and absurdly cowardly. I also agree with Jen in how fake Facebook has become.
But that's about where our sisterhood ends. Once she goes on and on about how much money she has to throw away now, I begin to lose interest. And it's not that I don't think she earned it.....it's just not my bag, and I really don't care about how often a person visits an overpriced Starbucks in a day.
I think this latest book is just kind of boring. It's not that I root for her being poor, but in the earlier books she was working toward something: a job, a house, weight loss, self-improvement. Now she just seems to like to constantly remind everyone that she's a grown-up now and her life is awesome.
(And yes, I found her Midwesterner's guide to Italy equally boring. I'm not a fan of Liz Gilbert, either, FYI.)
Which brings me back to the ongoing theme of this book: "why don't y'all like me?" (Not that Jen would say y'all unless she was making fun of us Southerners, of course.)
So I guess as long as Jen truly has "no regrets" I suppose she should stop worrying about her nay-sayers, huh?
Just sayin. Or nay-sayin. Or whatever.
