After I listened to Ron Rash talk about his most recent book on NPR, I decided to get this one from the library. Let me just say right quick that I don't think it will be the last of his books that I read. And I also reminded myself that I should read more regional authors more often. They have hardly ever let me down. I so love the re-telling of North Carolina from another time. Particularly the mountains. It's like my ancestry is literally calling out to me from the pages.
Riveting. It is just riveting. I had ideas about how it would end, but I absolutely did not see it coming. And I can't remember the last time a book was a real page-turner for me like this one was. So of course, I had some pretty high hopes for the movie......
And it was a huge let-down. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the film barely resembled the book. The entire theme was lost. All of the major plot points were missing. The characters were underdeveloped. As I often do when watching a book-turned-move, I wondered what Ron Rash thought of it.
According to my hubby who didn't read the book (of course not) but who I did coerce into watching the movie with me, it's still a fairly okay film. Not riveting. Oh, well.

