Skip to main content

4th Annual Downtown Gastonia Zombie Walk This Saturday

The Hungry Helping the Hungry.

That’s the motto of the Downtown Gastonia Zombie Walk and Food Drive.

The event, now in its fourth year, will take place on Saturday, October 3rd in Downtown Gastonia. 

Flagship, a Charlotte-based band gaining national notoriety with songs like “Life Underwater” and “I Want You” will be headlining the day’s musical acts in the Rotary Pavilion. 

According to Sue Ann Robb, event organizer and owner of the popular Gastonia salon Running With Scissors, the idea was to bring people downtown by using a popular show and current fad as a means to gain interest.

“A lot of cities have similar events,” says Robb, “but we wanted something fresh, something not so tame.  It’s definitely made bigger by the show.”


The 2014 event in downtown.  Photo by Dave Superville.
The popularity of the AMC show, The Walking Dead, is undeniable but it appears that most folks just love the event and want to support the burgeoning development of Downtown Gastonia.

Artists and stylists from the Gastonia Paul Mitchell School and Venturing Crew 6 will be on hand painting faces and creating zombie looks for anyone who donates at least 2 cans of food. 

Vendors include everything from crafts and jewelry to food and snacks as well as informational groups such as Gaston PFLAG and Howlermano Photography.

Musical acts this year are quite varied and include local Gastonia bands, The Sticky Bandits and The Menders, known for their rock and “garage folk” sound respectively.  The country band, Sinners and Saints, from Charlotte will also join along with Bear With Me, an alternative rock band from Greensboro. 

The music starts around 1 pm with Flagship taking the stage at 7 pm.               

For the first time this year there will also be an antiques fair taking place which will include booths by Gaston Pickers and Madd Hatters Antiques. 

The festivities also include the actual walk or parade of zombies which circles through several blocks of downtown and up alongside Franklin Boulevard with plenty of opportunities for drivers and walkers on the street to get a good view of folks who would easily qualify for central casting of any horror movie.

Many participants come to the event already in make-up, wigs and the full-on apparel of the undead which is usually torn, tattered and blood-stained.  And yes, there are prizes for the best and scariest zombies of them all.

“It’s definitely fun and kid-friendly,” says Whitney Noble, also a stylist

at Running With Scissors who brings her son out every year.  “It’s a pretty cool event.”


With all the fun and undead revelry, it’s easy to forget that this event does such a good turn for Bread Inc., a free food pantry in Gastonia.  Last year, the event collected over 1700 cans of food for the non-profit charity.  Admission to the Zombie Walk is free, but participants are encouraged to bring canned goods.             


“Downtown Gastonia is trying to evolve into an arts district,” says Robb.  “The idea here is to get people downtown for something interesting and fun and to help the needy at the same time.”


The event starts at 1 pm and lasts until 8 pm on Main Street in Gastonia.

(Originally printed in The Gaston Gazette on September 13, 2015.)

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...