It all started at the armory for me........
I went to my first DIY rock show at this armory in Kings Mountain. It was 1993. I was eighteen years-old and about to head off to college.
My then ex-boyfriend now husband (long story) remembers all the bands that played even if I don't: Stylin' Johnny Appleseeds (one of the best band names of all time), 1three4 (an institution in North AND South Carolina), Hardware, 11th Hour, Styrofoam Skeeter and of course my ex-boyfriend now husband's band at the time, the always memorable, Popes on Dope.
Aaah, the memories.
And even though that show was over 20 years ago and there have been many since, I think of it often. Especially now that I spend more time in Kings Mountain and I have occasion to drive past the armory. All those memories come back.
I don't remember everything about the show but some things stand out. It was the first time I saw local "indie" bands playing. I remember people talking about a guy I had heard of named G.G. Allin who had just died. I remember the bands playing on the back of a tractor-trailer bed. I bought my first zine. It was called Sleep and I read it over and over and kept it all through my years in college.
I know I'm not the only one who has memories like these. Those of you that get it, know what I'm talking about. Those that don't, have never been to a show like this and probably have never wanted to. (You can probably stop reading here. Or go on, if you want to learn something.)
I've been thinking about that time in my life and the people in it as some have drifted away and some have circled back. I also keep thinking of the people who are also on that same circle as me. And even the ones who are just starting the circle.
And to those people, I want to say this:
Never stop playing.
Never stop being who you are.
Keep DIYing it even when it makes you tired.
Don't think you're not a "real musician" because you: don't make any/much money at it, don't have any/many fans, aren't "signed", or think that no one has ever heard of you.
Don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't be.
You can be a singer/artist/writer/musician/creative force in any city or small town.
Never let someone else's style, beliefs or convictions be dictated to you. Choose or don't choose those for yourself.
Say, sing and scream what you want. If people get offended, just let them walk away from you.
Don't worry if the larger crowd doesn't understand you. There will always be people who do.
One day you'll have years behind you and you'll look back on those early shows. You'll remember the friends you made and lost. You'll think of the ones who inspired you and the ones who pissed you off.
Sometimes you'll even ask yourself if you're too old to: play shows, be in a band, go to shows, mosh, stay out until last call, etc.
And the truth is, some of it you may actually outgrow. And some of it, you never will. But only you can decide that. Don't let anyone decide it for you.
I'm also smart enough to know that I'm not telling you anything you don't already know and believe. And what's more, you don't need someone like me to tell you. That's why you're already awesome. So don't listen to me at all! Just keep doing what you do.
That's what DIY is all about.
And one day, you may just meet one of your heroes. And you'll tell him what he means to you in your life. That you had a quote from him from Our Band Could be Your Life in the cube of your awful corporate job:
![]() |
| National Guard Armory in Kings Mountain, NC. |
I went to my first DIY rock show at this armory in Kings Mountain. It was 1993. I was eighteen years-old and about to head off to college.
My then ex-boyfriend now husband (long story) remembers all the bands that played even if I don't: Stylin' Johnny Appleseeds (one of the best band names of all time), 1three4 (an institution in North AND South Carolina), Hardware, 11th Hour, Styrofoam Skeeter and of course my ex-boyfriend now husband's band at the time, the always memorable, Popes on Dope.
![]() |
| Popes on Dope. Or, that time my husband tried to be a drummer. |
Aaah, the memories.
And even though that show was over 20 years ago and there have been many since, I think of it often. Especially now that I spend more time in Kings Mountain and I have occasion to drive past the armory. All those memories come back.
I don't remember everything about the show but some things stand out. It was the first time I saw local "indie" bands playing. I remember people talking about a guy I had heard of named G.G. Allin who had just died. I remember the bands playing on the back of a tractor-trailer bed. I bought my first zine. It was called Sleep and I read it over and over and kept it all through my years in college.
I know I'm not the only one who has memories like these. Those of you that get it, know what I'm talking about. Those that don't, have never been to a show like this and probably have never wanted to. (You can probably stop reading here. Or go on, if you want to learn something.)
I've been thinking about that time in my life and the people in it as some have drifted away and some have circled back. I also keep thinking of the people who are also on that same circle as me. And even the ones who are just starting the circle.
And to those people, I want to say this:
Never stop playing.
Never stop being who you are.
Keep DIYing it even when it makes you tired.
Don't think you're not a "real musician" because you: don't make any/much money at it, don't have any/many fans, aren't "signed", or think that no one has ever heard of you.
Don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't be.
You can be a singer/artist/writer/musician/creative force in any city or small town.
Never let someone else's style, beliefs or convictions be dictated to you. Choose or don't choose those for yourself.
Say, sing and scream what you want. If people get offended, just let them walk away from you.
Don't worry if the larger crowd doesn't understand you. There will always be people who do.
One day you'll have years behind you and you'll look back on those early shows. You'll remember the friends you made and lost. You'll think of the ones who inspired you and the ones who pissed you off.
Sometimes you'll even ask yourself if you're too old to: play shows, be in a band, go to shows, mosh, stay out until last call, etc.
And the truth is, some of it you may actually outgrow. And some of it, you never will. But only you can decide that. Don't let anyone decide it for you.
I'm also smart enough to know that I'm not telling you anything you don't already know and believe. And what's more, you don't need someone like me to tell you. That's why you're already awesome. So don't listen to me at all! Just keep doing what you do.
That's what DIY is all about.
And one day, you may just meet one of your heroes. And you'll tell him what he means to you in your life. That you had a quote from him from Our Band Could be Your Life in the cube of your awful corporate job:
"Everywhere else in our lives we were these tiny little men,
but this one, this could be us."
but this one, this could be us."
And he'll look at you and shake your hand and say "respect". You'll know that little maxim about never meeting your heroes doesn't apply to everyone.
And you'll meet other people closer to home. People who move and inspire you and make you feel like you're doing your small little part in this huge creative freak scene. You'll feel honored to know them and wish you could do what they do. And they'll think the same of you.
Finally, one day, you'll know you've found your tribe. Some of them you only met a few months ago, and others you carried with you all the way from the armory. But you know they're yours.
As a tribe, we have responsibilities to each other. We support. The mainstream will never have to seek validation for their mainstream choices. Those of us outside the mainstream may not get support from others who don't understand us. That's why we have each other.
As a tribe, we have responsibilities to each other. We support. The mainstream will never have to seek validation for their mainstream choices. Those of us outside the mainstream may not get support from others who don't understand us. That's why we have each other.
And just like the music, you DIY the friendships too. Because just like anything worth having in life, those things you did for yourself, those are the only things worth holding onto.
Don't forget to pass it on. One day some kid will be shaking your hand and you'll be saying "respect" or "word to your mother" or "namaste". It doesn't matter what the words are, it's the sentiment being passed on that matters. Pass it on. Keep the tribe going.
Take that kid to the armory......
Don't forget to pass it on. One day some kid will be shaking your hand and you'll be saying "respect" or "word to your mother" or "namaste". It doesn't matter what the words are, it's the sentiment being passed on that matters. Pass it on. Keep the tribe going.
Take that kid to the armory......


