This HBO film, from waaaaay back in 2003, was tackling the subject of middle-age transgender and reassignment surgery waaaaay before the kerfuffle it has become in our media today. With a stellar cast, it takes an extremely sensitive and misunderstood subject and boils it down to something we can all understand even if we can't relate to it. This film also tackles something that the Caitlin Jenner case has brought to everyone's mind: what happens when a normal, regular, non-privileged person experiences gender dysphoria? When I first saw this back in 2003, I was so moved by its sensitive emotionality. Thinking about it today, I realize how complicated life can become.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

Comments