After I wrote my first post, I floated around and read some pieces about how sexist, violent and misogynistic the entire culture of football is.
As a woman myself, I felt compelled to respond.
First off, I know all about the accusations against Big Ben. Who doesn't? Of course it's not okay. And yes, I have my doubts about his innocence when he's been accused more than once. There are also accusations against several Green Bay guys including Clay Matthews.
Secondly, I am aware of the statistic that Super Bowl Sunday sees more domestic violence attacks on women by their partners than any other day of the year.
Third, I also read about all of the prostitutes and "sex slaves" trafficked into the Dallas area expressly for the many horny men sure to be in town for the Super Bowl.
Fourth, the vary aura of football is one of violence and aggression. It is an intense game that often involves a great deal of violent plays that can cause injury, sometimes fights between players and sometimes even smack talk in the media that is not at all good-natured.
I make note of all these things and don't poo poo any of them.
And now this Feminist has a point to make.
Rape. Violence against women. The trafficking of women and children for the sex trade. None of it is okay. None of it. It should not be tolerated or celebrated. It should not be overlooked for celebrities or very rich men.
Violence and aggression on the playing field? Well.....I gotta tell ya.....that's part of what it's all about. Have you ever seen or read Fight Club? The very idea of this fantastic piece of fiction is the lack of outlets to deal with aggression in our culture today. Not every man (or woman, for that matter) wants to sit around a drum circle or tear off his clothes in the wilderness or cry on a therapist's couch. Some of them (and women too....why do you think there's roller derby?) want to tackle and run and push and smack talk. It's a basic human need.
I don't like it when our America is described as having a "rape culture". I know all about what that means and why it's labeled as such. I'm not saying we don't have somewhat of a rape culture, but to be truthful we also have a "murder culture" and a "drug culture".
But why does nearly every enjoyment these days, particularly the ones geared to males, have to be wrapped in the paper of "the rape culture"?
Could it be that some men just like sports? Women too? Could it be that football is simply a super intense well-crafted sport? Maybe the commercials and musical guests and red carpet interviews are just plain fun to watch? Are there possibly just some good-natured bets wagered between friends?
I lost my bet, I don't mind telling you. I have to cook and wash dishes from dinner for the next week. I so wanted E-Roc's team to lose just so I could have some kitchen-free nights this week. But to even have that bet on the table, I have to live with a pretty open-minded, feminist, intelligent man myself. No knuckle-dragger would even be able to put those stakes on the table.
And all through the game I enjoyed snacks, conversation and good-natured jokes with all who were around me. And I firmly believe, that is how MOST people spent last night's game......no hookers......no assaults.......no exploitation.
Super Bowl Sunday is still a good day for most.
We keep talking about how our America is being taken away from us through bullshit PC-speak. I hear people (falsely) clamour about how immigrants are running our country. Half of our country is afraid to speak up for fear of offending the wrong group, and the other half yells so loud you can't hear a thing. Everyone has their cause and they let you know what it is.
But sometimes......oh sometimes.....we just want to relax.....not think too hard......and watch a little football.......maybe eat some nachos too.
What's so wrong with that?
As a woman myself, I felt compelled to respond.
First off, I know all about the accusations against Big Ben. Who doesn't? Of course it's not okay. And yes, I have my doubts about his innocence when he's been accused more than once. There are also accusations against several Green Bay guys including Clay Matthews.
Secondly, I am aware of the statistic that Super Bowl Sunday sees more domestic violence attacks on women by their partners than any other day of the year.
Third, I also read about all of the prostitutes and "sex slaves" trafficked into the Dallas area expressly for the many horny men sure to be in town for the Super Bowl.
Fourth, the vary aura of football is one of violence and aggression. It is an intense game that often involves a great deal of violent plays that can cause injury, sometimes fights between players and sometimes even smack talk in the media that is not at all good-natured.
I make note of all these things and don't poo poo any of them.
And now this Feminist has a point to make.
Rape. Violence against women. The trafficking of women and children for the sex trade. None of it is okay. None of it. It should not be tolerated or celebrated. It should not be overlooked for celebrities or very rich men.
Violence and aggression on the playing field? Well.....I gotta tell ya.....that's part of what it's all about. Have you ever seen or read Fight Club? The very idea of this fantastic piece of fiction is the lack of outlets to deal with aggression in our culture today. Not every man (or woman, for that matter) wants to sit around a drum circle or tear off his clothes in the wilderness or cry on a therapist's couch. Some of them (and women too....why do you think there's roller derby?) want to tackle and run and push and smack talk. It's a basic human need.
I don't like it when our America is described as having a "rape culture". I know all about what that means and why it's labeled as such. I'm not saying we don't have somewhat of a rape culture, but to be truthful we also have a "murder culture" and a "drug culture".
But why does nearly every enjoyment these days, particularly the ones geared to males, have to be wrapped in the paper of "the rape culture"?
Could it be that some men just like sports? Women too? Could it be that football is simply a super intense well-crafted sport? Maybe the commercials and musical guests and red carpet interviews are just plain fun to watch? Are there possibly just some good-natured bets wagered between friends?
I lost my bet, I don't mind telling you. I have to cook and wash dishes from dinner for the next week. I so wanted E-Roc's team to lose just so I could have some kitchen-free nights this week. But to even have that bet on the table, I have to live with a pretty open-minded, feminist, intelligent man myself. No knuckle-dragger would even be able to put those stakes on the table.
And all through the game I enjoyed snacks, conversation and good-natured jokes with all who were around me. And I firmly believe, that is how MOST people spent last night's game......no hookers......no assaults.......no exploitation.
Super Bowl Sunday is still a good day for most.
We keep talking about how our America is being taken away from us through bullshit PC-speak. I hear people (falsely) clamour about how immigrants are running our country. Half of our country is afraid to speak up for fear of offending the wrong group, and the other half yells so loud you can't hear a thing. Everyone has their cause and they let you know what it is.
But sometimes......oh sometimes.....we just want to relax.....not think too hard......and watch a little football.......maybe eat some nachos too.
What's so wrong with that?
Comments