Okay, so I might really be entering my NYC phase, as E-Roc put it.
After finishing Patti Smith's book, I decided I needed to learn more. I picked up Legends of the Chelsea Hotel from my public library, but the jury is still out on whether or not this is a good book. There's something about it that seems a little exploitative and not altogether respectful of the artists, writers and creators that lived in the Chelsea. I'm trying to give this book and its blog a chance, but there's something about this guy writing it I'm not so sure about.
I also got some books about Dylan Thomas, but now I'm thinking I need to read more about Sam Shepard and Harry Smith. Maybe even Susan Sontag. Okay, I don't think she ever lived at the Chelsea, but she was part of the time period. It's the time and place I'm becoming immersed in not just the residence itself.
How will I ever find the time for this massive NYC study I am undertaking? Maybe it will snow again this weekend.....uh, no!
And.....I can't stop watching various videos for Patti Smith on YouTube. What would we ever do without YouTube? I love finding old performance videos, but I especially love interviews of people. There's something about hearing a person's true voice. I also found a video of her petting some dogs at an outdoor concert. Gah!
Okay, so maybe I sound a little obsessed, but it's better than thinking about other worries.....money, the weather, Little Boy's autism, work, lack of work.......NYC 35 years ago is a great place to be at the moment.......
After finishing Patti Smith's book, I decided I needed to learn more. I picked up Legends of the Chelsea Hotel from my public library, but the jury is still out on whether or not this is a good book. There's something about it that seems a little exploitative and not altogether respectful of the artists, writers and creators that lived in the Chelsea. I'm trying to give this book and its blog a chance, but there's something about this guy writing it I'm not so sure about.
I also got some books about Dylan Thomas, but now I'm thinking I need to read more about Sam Shepard and Harry Smith. Maybe even Susan Sontag. Okay, I don't think she ever lived at the Chelsea, but she was part of the time period. It's the time and place I'm becoming immersed in not just the residence itself.
How will I ever find the time for this massive NYC study I am undertaking? Maybe it will snow again this weekend.....uh, no!
And.....I can't stop watching various videos for Patti Smith on YouTube. What would we ever do without YouTube? I love finding old performance videos, but I especially love interviews of people. There's something about hearing a person's true voice. I also found a video of her petting some dogs at an outdoor concert. Gah!
Okay, so maybe I sound a little obsessed, but it's better than thinking about other worries.....money, the weather, Little Boy's autism, work, lack of work.......NYC 35 years ago is a great place to be at the moment.......
Comments