For Colored Girls is going to be one of those painful movies. Just like Precious was a painful movie. And probably so was The Lovely Bones. Any movie about the hurt and pain of women hurts. They are hard to watch, but always so sincere and true.And I rarely see any of them.
I did. At one time. I really wanted to share in the experience of women. Some of it was my experience and some of it was not. I wanted to be in it.....with all the other women. So for those reasons I have seen:
The Color Purple
Woman Thou Art Loosed
SherryBaby
The Accused
If These Walls Could Talk (Parts I & II)
And these were all great movies. I learned from them. I cried with them. They kept me up at night.
And I so believe in the power of movies....they way they can touch you and teach you in a way that other mediums can't quite reach. You come away from something when you see a powerful movie.
Being a big fan of indie and made for cable films I could recommend these too:
The Woodsman
Half Nelson
The Kite Runner
Trainspotting
And the Band Played On
Normal
But these won't really make you feel super good either. You'll think. You'll learn. But you won't really feel good.
So I guess sometimes you just need to ask yourself what's you goal for the evening. Do you want to laugh and relax? Set your mind free? Learn? Grow? Cry?
I think all of these movies are valuable in the way that they will take people on a journey, and it will probably be one they have never conceived of themselves. And sometimes experiencing all of that from the safety of your comfy movie seat is the best place of all.
Comments