Skip to main content

This is Spring and This is Major

 Odd & ends that I am enjoying and embracing this spring.  Which I'm compiling as an homage to Shayla Lawson and her sublime book, This is Major.  


Gave my copy to a woman who had been in my office who I know had escaped the prison complex of America and I told her she would love it, just love it, and pretty soon we'd have a female president anyway, so just hang on Miss Lady, hang on, we're getting there, read this book, you'll love it, it's for you, keep it, pass it on, spread the word, Sis, this is Major.


This is me deleting numbers, numbers I don't need, numbers I don't want to answer, I don't remember your name anymore boy, if you want me you better write a letter, you better come correct, you better have that apology on your lips, you better be ready for bye boy bye, you better be ready old friend, you better be ready to know I'm not that girl anymore, don't call if you're not ready, as a matter of fact don't call at all.


A bed with sheets only I have slept in, only smell like me and maybe my son from a Saturday morning when I'm rooted from bed and he snuggles in, this is my bed, my comfort, my safe place, a place where a book and a bunny can find refuge with me and nobody else, this is tulips and comfort and Doris Day in all her virginity and Audrey Hepburn in all her sweetness, this is sweetness and light and comfort and peace, of a peaceful soft home, of soft comfort, smooth edges, soft mama soft woman.


Anais is telling all her stories before it's too late, she's leaving all her letters and diaries for us all, she doesn't care if those men are shamed or those women are embarrassed, she's telling all, she's freeing herself and leaving all her words for whoever finds them, she's leaving her lined journals and rumpled notes and tiny pads of words and rhymes and anecdotes and letting you know who she really was when it's too late to ask any questions why and she's me and she's now and she's the past and there's nothing to be done now, it's all done, it was good it was bad and now it's over, and the words are the proof, the evidence is all there if you want to find it.


Fingers are sewing and cutting and measuring and pricking, and it doesn't have to be cute but it's something, it's quiet time, quiet sewing quiet life in my quiet house where no one is ever allowed to yell or lie or hide again, this is sobriety, this is peace, this is return to innocence, back to basics, back to me, this is my creativity sparking splurging pouring when it's not stopped or stymied, this is me being me in a way I never have been free to be before. 


Rooting for you sis, I see you sis, you got it sis, you are speaking for so many sis, keep it up sis, I'll share the women who are speaking for us sis, who are lifting us up sis, no time for the fakers sis, and the players sis, no time for the passive-aggressive-ain't-really-our-friends sis, keep going sis, you're in your prime now sis, you don't know me but I'm proud of you sis, I'll lift you up sis, I'll street team for you sis, I'm grateful for you sis, want to hug your mama for you sis, Zoe Saldana crying out "mami" sis,  this is sisters doing it for themselves sis, I got you sis, I see you sis, I see you.


Watching a lady dog mature like watching an old lady finally resting easy, she sees me, I see her, her fur is soft and luxurious to me like a mink just taken out of cold storage on the Upper West Side, we love each other, we understand each other, we move into middle age together with dignity and support for our flaws and gifts, I look in her eyes so full of knowing and I hope every day that she knows I see her, I feel her, I love her as much as a human, as much as a child, as much as a dear friend I think of and miss every day. 


Little gifts, little gifts, they make me happy, they're simple, you can spend your money on tickets and flights and statement bags but I'm happy in this home with my simple gifts, my cottage core, my happy hygge, my one dollar tchotchkes, my tiny treasures, the things I can pick up and buy without thinking that once came from big sacrifices, success looks different to everyone, freedom feels different to everyone, freedom and peace surround me with every surface, every window, every touch of soft cotton and sateen. 


Losing my voice, being sick for so long and no voice to come back to, thinking I'd miss it but I don't, peeps telling me to feel better when I feel fine, I've spoken enough, I've said too much, I've talked all my life if I'm done now it's okay, I'll stand behind you while you speak sis, I'll hold you up on my shoulders young one, I'll get the microphone for you little one, I'm okay with silence, I'm okay with economizing words, I'm okay with less and less and less speech and sound, I'm good with quiet, I'm good with thinking, I'm good with listening, I'm good with keeping quiet, I'm good with holding this down in silence.  I'm good with not talking for once.  And this.  This is major.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...