This happens a lot for me. Whenever a film gets a lot of Oscar buzz/attention/awards, I want to know more. Especially if it's a film kinda off the beaten path. This was definitely the case for Anora.
So first I had to know more before I committed to this film. When Mikey Madison accepted her award and when Sean Baker spoke at all about the film, they both gave a lot of attention to the "sex worker community". To be honest, I didn't want to watch a film portraying women (or girls) being exploited or hurt in any kind of way. Also after having watched Mikey practically grow up on the fabulous FX show, Better Things, I didn't want to watch her in particular be abused or hurt.
I was glad to learn it's not that kind of film. It has been called by some to be the "modern day Pretty Woman". I kinda get it. She doesn't get hurt physically anyway. Well kinda not. She's definitely exploited. And she definitely gets hurt.
I don't want to give anything away because the film manages to move in such a way that really kept me guessing. Even the ending shocked me. But in a good way.
This film speaks to all the biggies that always give me a lot to think about: classism in America and in the world, empowerment, women's choices and issues, the power of the wealthy elite, and Sean Baker's goal from the beginning: an honest view into the world of the sex worker industry. And it was an eye-opener for me. And I did come away with more understanding and respect. I'm sorry it took me so long to accept the 4th Wave of Feminism.
I kept rooting so hard for Ani throughout. I admired her toughness and confidence. We don't know much at all about her back story, as is the case for all the characters. And it makes us end up rooting for ALL of them.
Except those rich asshole Russians. Because fuck them.
I also had no idea that the Russian immigrant community was so large in Coney Island. I see myself doing some follow-up on this.....
And I don't think this a spoiler but my absolute favorite part is when a fight happens in the club and all the girls run away from the men they're dancing for while screaming "fight, fight!"
I also have to admit I had no idea how strip clubs are set up, how they're run, and how the women there work. That was eye-opening. And now I understand why the workers deserve fair wages, protection, employee rights, and above all, respect and autonomy.
Chef's kiss. Start to finish. It might make you a little uncomfortable. And it's supposed to.


Comments