Skip to main content

Morning Skies

 There's something about a winter sunrise.  I'm sure there's some science behind it, but I've never taken the time to learn about that particular phenomenon.  All I know is that it's one of the few things I like about making such an early morning commute.  It's the reward of seeing this:


There was another point in my journey that was even more incredible than this, but I wasn't in a position to capture it.  Not that it could have been really captured anyway.  It was an amazing swirl of magenta and violet and about 10 or 20 other hues that I can't describe.

This isn't the first time I've written about sunrises or sunsets or other natural events.  I'm a country girl at heart, and I hope I will forever be in love with what the natural environment does around us every day. Again, I haven't studied the science behind it, but I love watching the clouds and sky change before a storm, watching neighborhood wildlife get ready for cold winds, looking at the ocean, watching streams, etc.  I don't know half the names of the kinds of trees that live in my yard and backwoods, but I sure as hell like staring at them.

I know some other country girls, The Indigo Girls, who think like this too:

"If you can't see beyond the myth of isolation, and the miracle of daybreak doesn't move you anymore

Connect the points and see the constellations, as the night comes down on the reservoir....."

There's no huge realization here.  No big purge of feelings.  Just a woman driving to work feeling grateful for a beautiful sky.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...