Late Winter/Early Spring had me sequestered in a way I never had been before. I literally had no voice. And I don't know if y'all know this, but it's hard to socialize in this world if you can't speak. So I settled in and enjoyed a bit of telly.
This could have been great, but it got bungled in the end. It's set up to be light and sexy, but how sexy can it be when a person who's actually loved and a part of the social circle is murdered? This isn't Mr. Body being wacked in a gloomy mansion! This is a bff.....a lover......a friend......the lack of concern and grief is yuck. Other than that, the mystery is still fun to follow until it gets to the very end and is completely smashed up to end quickly and and neatly. I wonder if the novel plays the story out more gracefully? To be fair, I was only really there for Liev Schreiber, and darling, he NEVER disappoints.
Babes is funny and ridiculous and still manages to be relatable. Let it be known that I shall never tire of anything Michelle Buteau's hand touches. The realization of how best friends are treated after marriage and how hard early parenthood can be is heartbreakingly true and treated with so much reality. Pamela Adlon as director got me interested, but Buteau's birthing scene had me hooked in from the start.
I was surprised at how much I loved Glass Onion! Now here is a mystery done right! It VERY much reminded me of the game and original film, Clue, as is referenced throughout. The cast is awesome, the clues and hints are clever and most of all, it was fun! BTW, I could listen to Janelle Monae's southern accent ALL DAY LONG. I loved all the making fun of internet posturing, excess and trivial modern day concerns. I'm also realizing that movies that reference the pandemic will probably always hold a special place in our hearts. We will all forever have the memories of that strange and unreal time in the early 2020's.
Flow is gorgeous.....just.....absolutely.....gorgeous. The beauty of it, the lack of dialogue with only sounds of animals and nature, the tempest and calmness of it.....I almost can't put into words how magical it all is. This is a film you could watch on substances (not that I know anyone who would do that) or watch with your kids. I've even read online that pets love watching it! My favorite thing is the realness of the animals and their behaviors including the lore and legend that we know of most animals. I didn't let myself focus too much on the tragedy that had obviously occurred, but I fully reveled in the triumph of survival and friendship.
Okay, anybody that knows me knows that I'm no fan of Tarantino. I've tried. I've watched several of his films, and I've even seen this one more than once. Never dug it. Never understood why people loved it so much. Never quite GOT it. This time I tried something different, I experienced the film while on "cold medicine". This time I managed to get under the dialogue and realize how brilliant it is. I also embarrassingly realized it's all short stories.....in the way of a freakin pulp fiction book! How did I never pick up on that before? I think when I first saw this back in college, I was bothered by what I saw as the tackiness of it all......the surfer music, the cheap low-end surroundings, the stories that weren't really sussed out. This time, I saw it for what is was.....a glimpse into the lives of many. Not a full picture, just a glimpse. Some touched each other and some didn't. I still don't and probably never will love Quentin Tarantino himself. He's a guy that believes his own hype waaaaay too much and is waaaaay too enamored with the use of the n-word. Also, his films are just too goddamm violent, and that is not my bag. But this viewing, just this one, was eye-opening to me and I have to say I was entranced.
This documentary reminded me once again of how much different the Millennials and Zoomers are to any working generation that came before them. I see it every day, and this story drove it all home. Look, I'm an idealistic person too! I love hippie commune vibes! But I also understand that work is work. And to me, WHAT you do shouldn't necessarily define WHO you are. I'm one of those "work to live, not live to work" kinda peeps. The idea of combining both.....welp....that's a little ridiculous and should be a no-brainer. I also find if interesting how there really does seem to be a cult for every blessed need and flavor these days. But it is ironic, that the cult of Millennials is one based on work and work spaces. From what I've seen, it checks out.




_poster.jpg)

Comments