Skip to main content

White People Problems

 I didn't realize it, but maybe there is a lacking of stories about white people?  Specifically, boring middle-aged, well-off white people? If you think so, you should probably watch "You Hurt My Feelings" on Netflix.


I had this on as background while I played Farmville on my iPhone. And the entire time I was listening and thinking, does anyone find this intriguing?  Is this the whitest movie I've ever seen?  Could these people have any more upper class problems that aren't really problems?

Then I remembered this film, "Friends With Money".  And I realized there were a lot of similarities of stupid, not-really-problem problems.


Then I realized both of these films were directed by Nicole Holofcener.  And listen, I don't want to dump on female directors.  I also believe you need to write what you know.  So maybe that's what Holofcener is doing.  But it's sad to know that there are studios out there that would throw money behind this when I know for a fact that there are unfunded projects out there just waiting to be made.  


And don't get me wrong, some of Holofcener's films are really good like "Enough Said".  And even "Can You Ever Forgive Me". I guess it's just the general privilege of it all that bugs me.  To be privileged enough that your biggest problem is that your dad didn't yell at you enough as a kid to make an interesting memoir or how to spend the millions of dollars you inherited.  


Are Nicole and the writers making fun of us?  Fun of themselves?  Maybe.  And I'll be the first to admit that it's nice to watch a film in which "nothing bad really happens".  Why do y'all think I watch "Dazed and Confused" on repeat?  In a world that's burning down, we sure as hell all need some comfort.  I guess I just like a little more of a challenge than this. Stories that are set outside of Calabasas and the Upper West Side.  And a little more color and reality in my world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...