Skip to main content

Lose Your Voice, Find Your Way

 Here's an experiment to try: lose your voice.  


You will soon realize how much you talk.  How little you often have to say.  And how much you have to strain to even get that much out.  

You'll start hearing more and seeing more happening around you.

And I'll do you one better: while you don't have your physical voice, delete your social media accounts as well.  You'll have very little contact with the outside world.  You'll see who calls and who texts.  You'll realize you're checking your phone less often.  You're taking fewer pictures and worrying less about checking in.  You'll do that little thing we once called "living in the moment".  

I know, I know.  It sounds so patronizing when we slow down the social stream and tell everyone about it.  I've done it and heard it before.  But it is honestly liberating.  I now have time on my hands that I couldn't understand at first.  Until I realized how much time I had been wasting.

I think the late great Betty White may have described it best on her last appearance on SNL:


Again, I'm not hating.  Because Sweet Baby Jebus knows I have needed my Facebook at times.  I've used it for dating, networking, socializing, my writing career, keeping up with friends and family, etc. But for most people, after a while, I believe we realize that we actually have a small number of family and friends that aren't that hard to keep up with.....IF WE REALLY WANT TO.

You also start realizing that you're spending less money and your self image is a little bit better.  Your FOMO decreases and so does your envy.  You don't creep on your exes and they don't spy on you.  

Then you might go one step further and think about all the people who are taking up all the air with sooooo much to say.  Things you kept hearing and processing that you didn't really like.  Didn't really learn from.  Didn't really grow from.  And maybe, just maybe, how it may have derailed or even damaged you.  

Remember when you were young and you went to books and people for knowledge?  You will find yourself doing that again.  You will find yourself rediscovering things that may have once been a big part of you that you somehow left along the wayside.  You may even remember the authentic you that got lost somewhere in all of it.  

I think one of the best parts of my adulthood has been learning what I need and what I don't.  Online socializing and phone apps have become calculated extensions for me.  Are they good to have? Sure.   Are they absolutely necessary? Not so much.  Knowing how to use, access, and post on Facebook and LinkedIn, get a ride on Lyft, download and convert a PDF, set up your Tether at home....all good skills.  But so is knowing how to ride a bike, make homemade soup and sew a button back onto a blouse.  Will those skills make or break you?  Probably not. And can you usually find someone to help if you really need it?   Probably so.

Moderation and patience have always been tough for me.  Why wait when you can do it, have it, get it right meow?  Losing your voice and your social media outlets make you have to stop and wait.  You absolutely don't have a choice.  You have to let someone jump in line ahead of you.  

And maybe it's your time to wait for a minute.  I know it was time for me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...